State Policy Analyst
Child Care Aware® of America is our nation’s leading voice for child care. We work with more than 400 state and local Child Care Resource and Referral agencies to ensure that families in every community have access to quality, affordable child care.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The State Policy Analyst will support the Senior Director of Federal and State Government Affairs and Chief, Policy, Research, and Programs, on Child Care Aware ® of America’s (CCAoA) efforts to advocate for safe, quality, and affordable child care for all families. The State Policy Analyst will work in collaboration with the Federal Policy Analyst to support CCAoA’s advocacy efforts. In addition, the State Policy Analyst will be involved in CCAoA’s “Child Care Works” movement, which seeks to influence lawmakers and organize and support advocates.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• In coordination with the Senior Director of Federal and State Government Affairs, support and grow Child Care Aware ® of America’s national network of advocates.
• Assess the needs of state and local advocates for technical assistance. Develop and provide responsive advocacy trainings and resources.
• Perform ongoing research to assess advocacy opportunities in states and to inform advocacy strategies
• As needed, assess and analyze the state child care and early childhood education policy landscape.
• Develop, write, and disseminate action alerts, social media content, website content, blog posts, toolkits, and other materials related to child care advocacy. Contribute to campaign plans.
• Maintain advocacy website programming, web design and development.
• Support the execution of advocacy initiatives directly including project management, writing, analysis, and other activities.
• Respond to, troubleshoot, and assist constituents when issues arise with advocacy opportunities.
• Track state advocacy activities and report on metrics
• Bachelor’s degree required; degree in public policy, communications, or a related field preferred.
• 5 years of policy, advocacy, organizing or communications experience for a nonprofit, campaign, government, or similar organization, or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills; ability to manage relationships across the organization and with external partners.
• Excellent and versatile writing skills.
• Knowledge of the state policy process, environment, and stakeholders
• Knowledge of child care and early childhood education policy a plus.
• Proven ability to translate complex issues into compelling narrative, and write for multiple audiences. Experience in writing specifically for digital platforms.
• Flexibility a must: comfortable working in a collaborative team environment with constant change.
• Outstanding communications skills, project management skills, and impeccable attention to detail.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
• Excellent analytical thinking, judgment, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
• Must be highly skilled with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and experienced with AP Style
• Proficiency with advocacy CRM tools such as Salsa, Blue State Digital, NGPVAN.
• Familiarity with Hubspot, WordPress.
This position description summarizes the main duties and responsibilities of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This position description is not meant to be an all/inclusive statement of the duties and responsibilities of the position. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Child Care Aware® of America reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time. This position requires completion of a satisfactory background check.
Child Care Aware® of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug-Free Workplace.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-11-14