State Policy Analyst (Multistate Research)
ITEP seeks a Policy Analyst to help build ITEP’s research portfolio into underexplored, emerging, and otherwise high-priority issue areas. The importance of tax policy from a racial equity perspective will be a key part of the analyst’s work. This position will primarily focus on state- and local-level tax policy but may also include some work on federal tax policy, especially at the intersection of federal and state taxes. The Policy Analyst will report to our Research Director.
Approximately 80 percent of the analyst’s time will be spent developing issue area expertise. The analyst will serve as ITEP’s go-to expert, both internally and externally, on the issue areas in which they develop expertise. ITEP analyses and experts are quoted frequently in the media and relied upon heavily by policymakers and advocates.
The other 20 percent of this position’s time will be devoted to serving as ITEP’s in-house expert on the tax policies of two to three specific states and acting as the point of contact with state researchers and advocates in those states. Our partners are an influential presence in state tax debates, and they ensure that our analyses help to inform better tax policy.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Research and develop issue area expertise in specific areas of state, local, and federal tax policy. The initial focus will be on ideas to advance the more equitable taxation of wealth and tax options for addressing racial economic inequities. Over time the role will likely evolve and expand to include additional issue areas.
- Contribute to the tax policy field, and the public discourse, through reports, briefs, blog posts, media interviews, and presentations.
- Serve as the primary point of contact between ITEP and state researchers and advocates in two to three assigned states.Use ITEP’s microsimulation tax model to analyze the revenue and distributional impact of tax laws and proposals in those states (during state legislative sessions this work is highly time-sensitive). Monitor tax policy developments in those states and contribute weekly to the State Tax Rundown blog and newsletter with summaries of recent developments.
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Familiarity with/interest in tax or economic policy.
- Ability and interest in working with data. Strong analytical and quantitative skills, and an interest in problem-solving.
- Ability and interest in reading and summarizing statutes, bill language, regulations, and technical academic articles.
- Demonstrated research, writing, and communications skills, including the ability to communicate technical information clearly to a range of audiences.
- Self-starter, ability to work independently, and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Willingness to work as a part of a team and in close collaboration with partners.
- Demonstrated commitment to economic and tax justice and racial and gender equity.
- At least three years of work experience or one year of experience plus advanced degree.
- The right candidate for this role will have a mix of experience and skills that may look different than what this position outlines.
- Salary hiring range: $63,000 to $76,000, depending on experience.
- Generous benefits include:
- 100 percent health and dental coverage for staff and family.
- 403(b) retirement plan to which ITEP contributes 10 percent of salary.
- All federal holidays plus Election Day, Juneteenth and the period from Christmas to Jan 2.
- Employees may take paid leave at their discretion, with advance notice and approval by their direct supervisor.
- 12 weeks paid parental leave.
- 6-week paid sabbatical eligibility after five years.
Location: ITEP is based in Washington, DC, however remote-working arrangements are possible under this position.
To apply: Send single PDF file containing one-page cover letter and resume to statejobs @ itep.org. We will begin screening applications the week of June 14th. Subject line should be Policy Analyst-Multistate Research (or if applying to both positions the line should be Policy Analyst-Both). We will accept applications until the position is filled, and we will inform all applicants when filled. No additional calls or emails.
The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and welcome diversity in the workplace. We strongly encourage all applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status.
Job posted: 2021-06-01