State Policy Analyst (state-specific analysis)
ITEP seeks a Policy Analyst to help advance equitable and adequate state and local tax policy. The position will work closely with a team of ITEP analysts, researchers, and communications staff as well as a network of state and national partner organizations. The Policy Analyst will report to our Deputy Executive Director.
Approximately 80 percent of this position’s time will be devoted to serving as ITEP’s in-house expert on the tax policies of 12 states and acting as the point of contact with state researchers and advocates in those states. This will include working with partners to design progressive tax proposals, providing quick turnaround analyses of legislative proposals, developing a deep understanding of each states’ tax codes, and closely monitoring tax policy developments in the assigned states. Our partners are an influential presence in state tax debates, and they ensure that our analyses help to inform better tax policy.
The other 20 percent of the analyst’s time will be spent developing issue area expertise. The analyst will serve as ITEP’s go-to expert, both internally and externally, on the issue areas in which they develop expertise. This work could include writing policy briefs, reports, and contributing to ITEP’s blog. ITEP analyses and experts are quoted frequently in the media and relied upon heavily by policymakers and advocates.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop expertise on state-specific tax policy and serve as the primary point of contact between ITEP and state researchers, advocates, and policymakers in 12 assigned states.
- Provide technical assistance, policy expertise, and strategic guidance to partner organizations and policymakers seeking to build more equitable and adequate state and local tax codes.
- Analyze the revenue, distributional, and racial equity impact of tax laws and proposals in various states using ITEP’s microsimulation tax model. During state legislative sessions this work is highly time-sensitive and part of the role is working with the state team to assess the priority level of requests and complete the analysis to share with partners quickly enough to impact debates.
- In coordination with the Research Director and other members of the state policy team, lead or participate in research and analyses of a variety of state and local tax policy issues and communicate findings in reports, briefs, op-eds, blog posts, presentations, and other mediums. Each member of ITEP’s state policy team has the opportunity to develop expertise in at least one fiscal policy issue and the team collaborates on larger products such as our Who Pays?
- Monitor trends in state tax policy across states and specifically in assigned states. Contribute weekly to the State Tax Rundown blog and newsletter with stories from your states and occasionally contribute state-specific blog posts.
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Familiarity with/interest in tax or economic policy.
- Exposure to state policy and an interest in advancing state-level policy.
- Strong analytic skills, including experience using Excel and an interest in problem-solving.
- Demonstrated research, writing, and communications skills, including the ability to communicate technical information clearly to a range of audiences.
- Self-starter, ability to work independently, and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Interest in working with a close-knit team and in close collaboration with partners.
- Demonstrated commitment to economic and tax justice and racial and gender equity.
- At least three years of work experience or one year of experience plus advanced degree.
- The right candidate for this role will have a mix of experience and skills that may look different than what this position outlines.
- Salary hiring range: $63,000 to $76,000, depending on experience.
- Generous benefits include:
- 100 percent health and dental coverage for staff and family.
- 403(b) retirement plan to which ITEP contributes 10 percent of salary.
- All federal holidays plus Election Day, Juneteenth and the period from Christmas to Jan 2.
- Employees may take paid leave at their discretion, with advance notice and approval by their direct supervisor.
- 12 weeks paid parental leave.
- 6-week paid sabbatical eligibility after five years.
Location: ITEP is based in Washington, DC, however remote-working arrangements are possible under this position.
To apply: Send single PDF file containing one-page cover letter and resume to statejobs @ itep.org. We will begin screening applications the week of June 14th. Subject line should be Policy Analyst-State Specific Analysis (if you are applying to both positions, the subject line should be Policy Analyst-Both). We will accept applications until the position is filled, and we will inform all applicants when filled. No additional calls or emails.
The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and welcome diversity in the workplace. We strongly encourage all applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status.
Job posted: 2021-06-01