Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
State Policy & Grassroots Advocacy Specialist
ABOUT THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF NURSE PRACTITIONERS
The American Association of Nurse Practitioners® (AANP) is a full-service professional membership organization that empowers all Nurse Practitioners (NPs) to advance accessible, person-centered, equitable, high-quality health care for diverse communities through practice, education, advocacy, research, and leadership. AANP takes pride in serving the NP community and our team members work together to move the association forward.
We are looking for talented individuals to join our team. In addition to competitive benefits, AANP offers team members a creative work environment with the opportunity for personal growth and success.
The State Policy and Grassroots Advocacy Specialist coordinates the American Association of Nurse Practitioners’ (AANP) state grassroots advocacy program and provides project management and administrative support for the AANP State Government Affairs (SGA) Department. Under general direction from the Vice President of State Government Affairs, this position is responsible for developing member-facing engagement content and strategies for state policy engagement, department project management, state policy research and team support.
WHERE YOU WILL WORK
This position will be hybrid with both remote and in office hours at our Washington D.C. (Arlington, VA) location.
You are expected to perform the following essential responsibilities of the position with reasonable accommodation. The position may include other responsibilities as assigned.
- Manages grassroots engagement strategy, including tracking metrics for measuring state engagement.
- Works with state policy analysts to create materials for grassroots outreach on state campaigns.
- Collects and tracks compliance data related to state grassroots lobbying activities.
- Manages department content, such as issue briefs and infographics, that promote AANP state priorities for member-facing state policy webpages, working with the AANP Webmaster and appropriate departments as needed.
- Manages the State Government Affairs (SGA) inventory of documents and policy resources. Activities include curating information, coordinating with state analysts, and formatting state policy maps, database, fact sheets, and website materials.
- Serves as project manager for the cross-departmental Region Membership Meetings program.
- Provides timely policy-related support and customer service to members.
- Assists with research and maintains database on state statutes, regulations, and policies utilizing CQ State Track, Westlaw, the internet, and other search tools.
- Monitors and reports on external developments in publications, social media, and press as it relates to AANP’s strategic policy objectives.
- Coordinates with other departments on inter-departmental initiatives and website content and social media related to department initiatives, priorities, and activities.
- Provides project management and general administrative support for the department. Activities include preparing materials for presentations and reports, data entry, managing incoming member queries and communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Equivalent years of experience in government affairs or professional membership associations can be substituted for education plus the minimum required years of experience.
- Two or more years of policy or association experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the political process including legislative communication techniques.
- Proficient with MS Office, Westlaw, and internet searches required.
- Proficient with desktop publishing software.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including speaking, writing, and delivering presentations.
- Demonstrated effective critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, coordinate with staff, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, focused work environment and maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail with minimal supervision.
- Strong time management and project planning skills.
- experience with state legislative and regulatory tracking and legal software preferred.
- Ability to travel and staff AANP conferences if needed.
AANP offers attractive compensation; health, dental and vision insurance; 401(K) and employer match; generous paid time-off; 14 annual holidays, and a great work environment.
AANP is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in locations where we operate. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
AANP will endeavor to provide reasonable accommodation consistent with the law to otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability. If you require reasonable accommodation because of a disability in completing any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources at (512) 442-4262 to help us understand the nature of your request and provide your contact information.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-18