State Public Policy Associate
Who we are:
ACT | The App Association represents more than 5,000 app makers and connected device companies in the mobile economy. Most of our members are small tech companies with passionate people who build apps or devices that make the world better, more fun, and more efficient. You may already have some of their apps on your phone. Our team is professional, collaborative, and effective, and we are the leading industry resource on a wide range of policy issues from antitrust and digital health to privacy and consumer protection.
Who you are:
ACT | The App Association is seeking a state public policy associate who is curious about and interested in the legal and policy issues affecting the small business software industry. You will help to develop and execute the App Association’s advocacy efforts on a variety of issues, such as antitrust, privacy, connected health, telecom, and workforce development. You should have some experience working with various state government bodies, including state legislatures, attorney general offices, commerce departments, and similar entities. You must be comfortable with drafting error-free letters, testimonies, and talking points for state level engagement on a deadline. You will report to the senior director for public policy. The right candidate may join our Washington, DC, office upon reopening or work from home from another part of the country.
- Strong research and writing skills
- Knowledge of and experience with state legislative, enforcement, and administrative agency processes
- Ability to interact professionally and independently with internal and external stakeholders, including public officials
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate closely with and lead coalitions of advocates and member companies to achieve a desired outcome
- Knowledge of technology, as well as related policy issues, and their interplay with small business innovators
- Self-starter with ability to effectively handle multiple tasks
- Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others
- JD, advanced degree, or equivalent experience required
- Research and draft advocacy, including policy filings and letters across a variety of state venues (legislatures and agencies)
- Develop advocacy initiatives in planning and executing strategies as the public policy landscape evolves across a wide range of venues and issues at the state level
- Represent the App Association in hearings and meetings with government officials across a variety of venues, including in state legislative offices, state attorney general offices, state commerce departments, and other relevant state agencies
To apply for the state public policy associate position, please send your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2021-03-15