Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
State & Regional Policy Consultant
Puget Sound Energy is looking to grow our community with top talented individuals like you! With our rapidly growing, award winning energy efficiency programs, our pathway to an exciting and innovative future is now.
PSE’s Rates & Regulatory team is looking for qualified candidates to fill an open State & Regional Policy Consultant position!
Puget Sound Energy’s Regulatory Policy Department is looking for a Regional Energy Policy Consultant to join our team! Regulatory Policy is a fast paced group within Puget Sound Energy that is constantly striving to improve company processes, compliance and policies. This role coordinates and leads regulatory policy development on state and regional issues primarily focused on PSE’s Clean Energy agenda.
The State and Regional Policy Consultant will work closely with other regional industry entities, and maintain collaborative, constructive and effective relationships. This position will represent PSE management through regular interaction with energy entities located in Washington and Oregon across a wide range of issues. This position will have frequent engagement with regional entities and key stakeholders to coordinate positions on energy-related policy.
- Actively participates and assists in the development of PSE’s Clean Energy agenda for both electric generation and retail natural gas service, with collaboration and coordination amongst multiple internal business units.
- Monitors and engages in state energy regulatory policies affecting the company’s energy supply and transmission needs.
- Represents PSE management and regularly interacts with key energy entities including Bonneville Power Administration (BPA), PacifiCorp, Portland General Electric, Northwest Natural, Northwest Power Council, Public Power Council, Public Generating Pool (PGP), and Pacific Northwest Generating Cooperative on a variety of topics.
- Interfaces and engages BPA on key regulatory policy issues, including transmission-related issues, conversion of PSE’s Residential Exchange benefits, opportunities to pursue wholesale power transactions, and transmission and power rate case issues.
- Coordinates positions on clean electricity initiatives, where appropriate, with regional investor- owned utilities and PGP, as well as coordinates on retail local distribution companies’ (LDC) issues.
- Engages with key stakeholders to build support for PSE’s Clean Energy agenda, including those that represent environmental, energy efficiency, social justice, and low-income interests.
- Reviews energy-related legislative positions and proposals, in coordination with the state government affairs team.
- Represents PSE as an active participant in energy-related matters discussed regionally by the Northwest Power Council and Pacific Northwest Utilities Conference Committee (PNUCC).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, public policy, finance, economics, communications or applicable field; or equivalent combination of education and/or relevant work experience.
- 7 years relevant work experience specifically in state strategy or public policy development.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent presentation skills with an ability to effectively communicate complex information to a variety of audiences.
- Must be self-directed and willing to mentor peers and team members.
- Excellent customer relations skills, including problem solving, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to balance multiple projects, priorities and deadlines.
- Uncompromising ethics and integrity.
- JD, MBA, MA or relevant experience in public policy.
- Working knowledge of state energy policy and relevant administrative procedures.
Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1873. Today we’re building the Northwest’s energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable energy.
At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them opportunities to excel. We offer an expansive pay package that includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive bonuses, comprehensive benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
Puget Sound Energy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or presence of a disability that with or without reasonable accommodation does not prevent performance of the essential functions of the job, or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law.
Should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources Staffing department at email@example.com or 425-462-3017.
Job posted: 2021-12-21