Storytelling Communications Manager
Potential is equally distributed; opportunity is not. A major driver of healthy development and opportunity is who you know and who’s in your corner.
30 years ago, MENTOR was created to expand that opportunity for young people by building a youth mentoring field and movement, serving as the expert and go-to resource on quality mentoring. The result- more than 10x increase in young people in structured mentoring relationships, from hundreds of thousands to millions.
Today, we activate a movement across sectors that is diverse and broad and seeps into every aspect of daily life. We are connecting and fueling opportunity for young people everywhere they are from schools to workplaces and beyond.
Commitment to Diversity
MENTOR is committed to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion for all. We embrace our differences and celebrate our common humanity in advancing awareness of the need for an transformative power of supportive relationships for our young people. We believe that varied perspectives, experiences, and opinions are central assets in our mission to close the mentoring gap. As we seek to build the most complementary team when it comes to skill, perspective, and experience, we strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented communities to apply.
About the Position
MENTOR seeks a full-time Storytelling Communications Manager to join the Marketing and Communications team at our national office. The Storytelling Communications Manager will commission, curate, produce, and edit stories across media formats to tell the story of MENTOR. They will work across platforms including MENTOR’s website, emails, in-person gatherings, and trainings. The MENTOR team is highly collaborative, and this role will work with every team across the organization, reporting to the Director of Communications. This role is based in our Boston office.
This new position is an in-house content developer that will use storytelling to:
- Elevate MENTOR’s 24 local Affiliates with internal and external audiences
- Spotlight our corporate partners like Starbucks, LinkedIn, Nike and the NBA in their efforts to close the mentoring gap
- Show our position as thought leaders in the field
- Support our fundraising efforts
Writing and Content Production
- Source, report, and write communications materials focused on:
- Impact and implementation of MENTOR’s expertise and resources, including how mentoring programs are using and learning from them
- Local leadership and impact of MENTOR Affiliates
- Profiles about programs using the National Quality Mentoring System
- MENTOR’s public events, trainings, and thought leadership
- Impact of mentor recruitment efforts and corporate mentoring initiatives by a variety of partners, including global brands and national nonprofit partners
- Create written pieces that are consistently brand-appropriate with key messaging and impact storytelling
- Write or produce stories, interviews, and copy for MENTOR properties
- Cover, either in person or through reporting, MENTOR speaking engagements
Digital Story Collection
- Curate, grow, and lead MENTOR’s storytelling repository, an online hub for collecting real-life, diverse mentoring stories
- Train staff to utilize and maximize the tool
- Work with the Director of Communications to create and implement an annual storytelling content plan
- Collaborate with Director of Digital Marketing and Analytics Associate to report regularly on content performance and recommend ways to increase reach and engagement
- 3+ years progressive experience in communications, media, or related field; journalism experience a plus
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills with a knack for storytelling and appropriately representing tone and message for varied audiences
- Experience executing on organizational messaging and translating high-level messages into tangible examples and stories
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Experience writing to deadline and for various media, including web, blogs, email
- Ability to manage up and across an organization, distilling feedback from various viewpoints
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Full benefits include health, dental, 403B, pre-tax transit, generous vacation, STD/LTD/Life insurance, and paid professional development.
MENTOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Diversity of opinions, experiences, and backgrounds is a key asset.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-27