Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Strategic Communication Consultant
John Snow, Inc. (JSI), a leading public health research and consulting organization, is seeking a highly motivated Strategic Communication Consultant for its Berkeley-based California office. Successful candidates will have a strong background and interest in communications for public health and health policy topics, including: communication and social media strategy; messaging for diverse target audiences from policymakers to consumers; and producing content for a variety of channels. The specific topics our projects address include: primary care/behavioral health integration, payment reform and Medicaid policy, social determinants of health, homelessness, women’s health, maternal and child health, HIV, domestic violence and trauma prevention, early childhood development, and multisector approaches to advancing population health, including health equity.How We Work
We pride ourselves on being a workplace where people from a wide variety of lived experiences have the freedom to pursue their passions and take an active part in shaping the future of our work. We have a bias toward action: We do research with the explicit intent of influencing policy change and changes in practice and have results to show it. We understand that the public health field needs to reflect the diversity of our communities and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team.
Our office culture is strong—we care about each other as coworkers and as individuals and strive to extend flexibility to staff so that they can manage life, while still meeting the demands of the job. We are committed to each others’ success and view performance evaluations as collaborative experiences for growth and development. When it is safe to gather in person, we hold weekly staff lunches; host our partners, friends, and families at the office; and make sure to make time for the occasional fun staff outing.
JSI is committed to the safety of our staff and to facilitating connection and community with one another. We are transitioning into a hybrid work environment in which all Bay Area JSI staff work from the office on Wednesdays, and an additional 1-2 days per week of each staff members’ choosing. All other days staff may choose to work in the office or remotely. Given the constantly changing environment, this arrangement may be adjusted over time as needed.
About The Role
For this role, we’re looking for someone who is a creative problem solver, dedicated to high-quality work products, able to quickly pivot in changing environments, comfortable with ambiguity, and committed to advancing innovative approaches to improving health and racial equity. Our office is small and our team works closely together: all staff members work across multiple projects simultaneously with a high-level of individual accountability. We strive to balance rigorous approaches with timely and imaginative execution.
In addition to project work, the Strategic Communication Consultant will also actively participate in organizing and contributing to proposals for new public health-related projects at the local, state, and national levels. Both project and proposal work will require working collaboratively with other staff in the JSI California office and other JSI offices across the country.
- Lead communication tasks, including managing a website and email listserv, for a national learning collaborative focused on safety-net policy and practice change in behavioral health and primary care
- Develop and implement strategic communication plans for objectives ranging from raising the profile of a specific workstream or publication to external communications for large multi-year technical assistance projects
- Work in close collaboration with project teams to design and develop compelling print and online materials for domestic health projects (e.g., blog posts, presentations, briefs)
- Create compelling messages for a variety of audiences and communication modes
- Support evaluation of health communication projects, including estimating reach and impact of communication activities/media placements through web and social media analytics
- Provide communication-related technical assistance to clients
- Participate in all phases of deliverable development: outlining, research, drafting, editing, layout, and dissemination
- Contribute to business development through proposal writing, development of relationships with potential clients, and generation of new project opportunities
- Manage projects with a high level of organization and capacity to meet deadlines
- Work collaboratively and communicate frequently with project team members and other JSI staff working locally and in other JSI offices
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- Master’s degree in health communication, health journalism, public health, or related field, with preferred 2-4 years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including copyediting
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated interest in or passion for advancing health and health equity
- Commitment to promoting racial equity and social justice
- An entrepreneurial approach to potential opportunities and challenges and commitment to high-quality client-focused services
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work on multiple tasks and projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with team members, clients, and other key stakeholders
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat) and integrated marketing platforms (Mailchimp, Constant Contact)
- Strong aesthetic sense, and understanding of good design principles.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Google products (Drive, Calendar, Docs, etc.)
- Experience working with diverse and underserved populations
- Strong understanding of public health and healthcare transformation landscape in California, including policy initiatives and stakeholder groups,
- Familiarity with graphic design software (Adobe Creative Suite) a plus
- Familiarity with website content management systems (WordPress, Drupal)
- Spanish language skills a plus
This position has an annual salary range of $75,600-$87,150, depending on years of experience. JSI offers competitive benefits including health insurance, dental, vision, and a 401k with a company match.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and two writing samples. You may also submit a design sample or link to your portfolio (optional). Writing and design samples should be uploaded with your cover letter as one document.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online.
Job posted: 2022-08-05