Strategy & Policy Manager for State Advocacy
The Strategy & Policy Manager for State Advocacy is a key member of the Law Center’s cross-cutting Strategy & Policy team. The Manager will develop critical advocacy content and track political leaders’ positions on gender justice issues for the Law Center’s growing efforts to fight for gender justice across issue areas with state advocates and policymakers. The Manager will support efforts led by the Law Center’s cross-cutting Strategy & Policy state team as well as related work conducted by the Law Center’s Action Fund 501(c)4 .
About the Organization
The National Women’s Law Center, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, fights for gender justice—in the courts, in public policy, and in our society—working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us—especially women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For almost 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women. Find out more at NWLC.org.
The National Women’s Law Center Action Fund is a 501(c)4 affiliate of NWLC, aiming to drive progressive change in our policies and laws so that all women and girls can live, learn, and work with safety, dignity, and equality.
- Support programming needs of cross-issue NWLC state and NWLC Action Fund advocacy efforts by producing toolkits, strategy memos for interested parties, outreach materials, talking points, fact sheets and more;
- Develop and/or manage cross-issue state-focused newsletters, webinars, blog posts, updates to the State Gender Justice Playbook, and other written resources;
- Assist in the development of cross-issue NWLC state and NWLC Action Fund survey questionnaires and related memos for both cross-cutting state and Action Fund advocacy efforts;
- Research, track, and prepare memos on public opinion polling on gender justice issues;
- Support programming for activities and events in NWLC’s community partnership work in states and for the Action Fund, including maintaining project plans; helping to develop agendas for roundtables, townhalls, panels, forums, and other events; hosting prep calls; preparing background materials to support state and Action Fund events; and more;
- Organize participation and materials for NWLC appearances in state elected officials’ network convenings; will lead coordination with the respective state elected officials networks, the Strategy & Policy team, and NWLC program and Marketing & Communications teams.
The candidate must possess:
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- At least two years of relevant experience developing advocacy content and/or producing actionable research for electoral campaigns and/or C4 advocacy organizations;
- Strong event and project management skills;
- Detail oriented, strong organizational skills, proven ability to problem solve, and nimbleness in adapting to changing circumstances;
- Demonstrated experience working independently to develop and complete original projects and content;
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color in their approach to work; and
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time, once it becomes safe to do so.
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- Experience with meeting facilitation and agenda development;
- Experience with project management and database management systems;
- Sound and strategic judgment; and
- A collaborative and collegial approach.
The Manager will report to the Director of Community Partnerships of Strategy & Policy and will work with members across the Strategy & Policy team as well was program and communications staff.
Compensation and Benefits
A minimum salary of $73,913 will be provided to the successful candidate who has as least 2 years’ experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C., with our office located in historic Dupont Circle. However, due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, all NWLC staff are temporarily working remotely. We continue to monitor public health guidance and keep safety, science, and flexibility top of mind as we evaluate what reopening looks like for our team.
NWLC recognizes a staff bargaining unit, NWLC United, affiliated with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union/IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in NWLC’s bargaining unit. Specific employment terms are subject to collective bargaining.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, 2-page writing sample, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com and include “Strategy & Policy Manager” in the subject line. Resumes should include exact start and end dates of employment. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2021-10-12