Supervisor, U.S. Public Affairs
Are you ready to make a difference at a global company? Do you want to have an impact on the future of public affairs in a world-class organization? Is it time to take the dive into the next phase of your career? If so, apply now as your first step towards joining one of the most dynamic and innovative teams in the business today.
McDonald’s is more than the world’s largest chain of quick service restaurants, serving millions of customers in over 100 countries daily. Under the leadership of CEO, Steve Easterbrook, and his executive team, our purpose goes beyond what we sell. We’re using our scale and reach to be a positive force around the world.
It’s our mission to offer dynamic careers for several different business functions globally, including, but not limited to positions working in Operations, Finance, Human Resources, Learning & Development, Marketing, Consumer Business Insights, and Communications.
We believe that a career here is an opportunity to be the best at what you’re passionate about, in a supportive, inclusive environment where you are valued and respected. We are dedicated to building a committed workplace that rewards and recognizes loyal contributions, and offers growth and advancement opportunities. We believe the best people in the world work right here.
Our Corporate Home Office has an exciting opportunity to become a Supervisor on the
- Public Affairs team (part of the Corporate Relations team), led by Global Chief Communications Officer Robert Gibbs. In this position, you will support strategic external and internal engagement, with a broad range of partners, to actively and reactively address issues impacting the reputation of the You will report to the Manager of U.S. Public Affairs and will sit on the Global Policy & Engagement team (a sub-team within Corporate Relations).
You will assist in the development and execution of holistic communications strategies, specifically related to food and nutrition issues, to reach and engage targeted audiences, including consumers as well as key stakeholders. These issues will include sustainable sourcing, agriculture, ingredients and nutrition, among others. You will work closely with the food team to plan, coordinate and execute the activities of the team in the areas of external engagement, message development, issue management, influencer engagement, policy communications, internal policy development and thought leadership. You will also collaborate with cross-functional partners to support
earned, owned, and paid media strategies that reach target audiences. Working across the Corp. Relations team, as well as with other functions in the business, you will ensure that policy and reputational objectives align and support corporate and U.S. business goals. The position is based at our corporate headquarters in Chicago, Illinois.
The principal accountabilities include, but are not restricted to:
- Support the development of the public affairs strategy and plan for external engagement based on McDonald’s business priorities, involving the broader Global Policy & Engagement team, as well as Corporate Relations colleagues and cross-functional Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).
- Support and assist in execution of Public Affairs strategy in relevant issue areas and external engagement to enhance the Company’s reputation on food
- Periodically connect and engage with external stakeholders on select topics through networking and outreach to achieve objectives and policy This includes working formally and informally with external SMEs; representing McDonald’s at relevant meetings or preparing senior leaders to represent the brand; and driving outreach to convey McDonald’s progress in select areas as part of a broader effort to build third-party support.
- Participate and engage in cross-functional teams on a wide range of issues; developing strong relationships and with a keen focus on aligning policy objectives with internal partners, g.: Supply Chain, Sustainability, Marketing and Menu.
- Identify trends, analyze and anticipate risks and develop opportunities for McDonald’s with applied insights from consumers, policy influencers and This work will be done in collaboration with International Public Affairs & Issues Management (also in the Global Policy & Engagement team).
- Support the execution and deployment of holistic communication campaigns related to nutrition and food commitments and achievements through project management, message development, reporting and feeding into the overall
- Craft and create new tools and execute tactics to assist in managing ongoing issues, including developing briefing notes, positioning statements, and help develop of relevant reports and communications
Skills You’ll Use Every Day:
To succeed, you will have a strong work ethic and be a self-starter. You will show passion, energy, excitement and enthusiasm for the journey ahead at McDonald’s. You will also possess the following skills and competencies:
- Intellectual Curiosity & Problem-Solving – intelligent and agile; comfortable with concepts and complexity; able to think independently and make sound, reasoned judgments and solve problems within a large
- Accountability and Motivation – self-starter with strong sense of initiative, focused on results; experience leading multiple, simultaneous projects and, at times, within ambiguous and undefined
- Communication – excellent oral, written and overall communications skills; can credibly adopt a variety of communication styles; sensitive to specific audiences in tone as well as
- Ability to Influence – strong influencing skills in an external context; plus strong influencing and change management skills to effectively lead internally in a complex matrix environment that is undergoing transformation and
- Team-Orientation – a strong team-minded approach with experience leading teams and effectively managing projects; ability to work assertively yet collaboratively with management and colleagues at all levels of a decentralized
- Composure – Comfortable working in a fast-paced & results oriented environment; personal integrity; calm under
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience in corporate, government, agency or relevant NGO/association environments
- BA/BS degree strongly preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, including an ability to convey complex policy issues in a clear and concise manner
- Experience in policy communications and the relevant use of various media relations in order to influence the desired outcome
- Demonstrated experience in the design, regulatory implementation, advocacy or oversight of one or more of the following policy areas: food, nutrition, agriculture, sustainability
- Experience working with team members to gain internal alignment on business decisions and outcomes
- Possesses a sophisticated understanding of how the S. public policy arena works
- Experience in handling targeted paid media campaigns preferred
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Interested applicants should apply directly on our McDonald’s Corporation Career site,https://mcdonalds.jibeapply.com/global-corporate/jobs/3743461?lang=en-us&previousLocale=en-US
Job posted: 2019-02-24