SVP, Chief of Government Affairs and Advocacy
Reporting directly to the S.V.P. Chief of Staff of Hackensack Meridian Health, the SVP, Chief of Government Affairs and Advocacy (CGAA) is responsible and accountable for developing and executing an advocacy agenda in support of Network’s mission and strategic plan, in collaboration with the Chief of Staff, senior leadership team, and the CEO. The position is also responsible for overseeing the effective management and execution of all of the network’s government affairs activities (including legislative, policy and regulatory issues) with local government entities, the State government and the Federal Government. This includes management of all consulting contracts, trade associations, coalitions and other groups as identified and necessary.
In addition to the management and strategic responsibilities outlined above, the position will serve as an advocate for HMH and build relationships and coalitions that advance its organizational interests. The CGAA will serve as the principal liaison to government entities at the federal and state level and coordinate strategies for county and local interactions with HMH entities. Regulatory issues will be appropriately coordinated with the appropriate HMH team, and government grants and funding opportunities will be coordinated with the HMH Foundations as necessary.
Being effective in this position requires strong communication skills, and the ability to build strong, trusting partnerships across the organization and with key stakeholders in government.
- Provide timely and thoughtful strategic advice to the Chief of Staff and the CEO as necessary regarding key government affairs issues.
- Work with the Chief of Staff to strategically build relationships with senior most State officials.
- Serve as the Principal Federal and State registered lobbyist for the network and prepare required lobbying disclosure reports.
- Serves as lead liaison with business and trade associations and coalitions at the State and Federal level.
- Forge key relationships with senior public policymakers, elected officials, regulators and their staffs at all levels of government.
- Develop, manage and execute the network’s advocacy agenda at the Federal, State and regional levels.
- Manage and supervise the network’s government affairs team, and outside consultants in support of the network’s policy and advocacy agenda.
- Develop, launch and manage the system’s regional government and community affairs and grassroots advocacy activities.
- Coordinate with HMH’s senior leadership team to develop new, proactive initiatives to support the network’s positioning as a thought leader in New Jersey and nationally.
- Communicate, promote and proactively identify opportunities for grants at the State and Federal levels along with other relevant units within HMH and where necessary identif third party allies and building coalitions with these constituents.
- Monitor, analyze and track key legislative, regulatory and public policy issues in order to apprise leadership of issues which affect healthcare delivery and enable appropriate responses.
- Make a positive impact on issues that constrain, financially or otherwise, HMH’s ability to achieve its mission as a premier academic healthcare enterprise including but not limited to its School of Medicine.
- Support HMH’s social determinants of health initiatives, including as necessary the development of programmatic and advocacy initiatives to promote equity and address disparities throughout our communities.
- Bachelor’s is required; and
- Advanced degree required in law, government/public affairs or business, but a law degree is preferred
- 10+ years of work experience with New Jersey State Government strongly preferred;
- Leadership role with other major New Jersey based companies or healthcare companies strongly preferred;
- A record of success in developing and implementing government affairs strategies in a large, complex environment is required;
- Broad experience with Federal, State and local public policy issues, preferably those affecting health care, is needed with New Jersey experience required. Intimate knowledge about political and legislative processes and direct experience interacting with and impacting with all levels of the government; and
- Outstanding leadership, planning and analytical skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, are required.
- Excellent oral, written communication skills are required. Strong ability to articulate mission and objectives of organization and to persuade others of a point of view;
- Demonstrated experience building and managing relationships, use of diplomacy and tact and ability to diffuse high tension situations effectively; and
- Impeccable ethics, one whose behavior can withstand public scrutiny.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-14