SVP, Corporate Communications & Public Relations
Job Description Summary
BD is a global medical technology company that is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD leads in patient and healthcare worker safety and the technologies that enable medical research and clinical laboratories. The company provides innovative solutions that help advance medical research and genomics, enhance the diagnosis of infectious disease and cancer, improve medication management, promote infection prevention, equip surgical and interventional procedures and support the management of diabetes.
REPORTS TO: Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
The SVP, Corporate Communications and Public Relations will develop, lead, and implement the global communications strategy for all audiences and manage the BD corporate reputation. The SVPCCPR oversees media relations, crisis management, internal communications, executive communications, and social/digital media, Social Investing & the BD Foundation.
This person will be responsible for overall implementation of communication plans, initiatives, and programs. This is a highly visible leadership role, working closely with executives; the SVPCCPR will manage a team of 25 employees, plus agency partners globally.
- Lead all strategic and operational aspects of the global corporate communications function including focused messages to external and internal audiences, crisis communications management, and executive communications.
- Direct the creation and execution of media strategies and PR programs to ensure quality media coverage for the Company. Specific to corporate matters, developing messaging internal and external as well as outreach activities for topics including but not limited to corporate social responsibility, corporate and personal philanthropic efforts, innovation, and other areas of strategic corporate significance.
- Through solid strategic judgment and quick issues assessment, lead the company’s proactive and reactive position on minor to major reputational management issues. Closely collaborate with peers in Management, Marketing, Legal, and Public Affairs.
- Develop overall communications strategy and programs designed to increase visibility and enhance public image with employees, opinion leaders, the media, the medical community, and other decision makers.
- Lead proactive and reactive strategies for external audiences to manage flow of news about BD and to enhance the company’s reputation through communications channels, including press releases and materials, direct media communication, events, social media, speeches/presentations, the corporate website, etc.
- Represent the views of the news media to management. Shape responses to complex issues.
- Continue to advance BD’s purpose through its engagement with partners and external organizations. Lead social investing and direct the activities of the BD foundation.
- Design, develop, and lead a modern, streamlined corporate communications department, leveraging the use of external vendors as appropriate.
- Lead proactive communications programs for internal audiences to support and reinforce BD’s objectives, culture, and strategy.
- Bring a strong leadership profile; comfortable implementing change; highly effective at engaging, developing, and motivating a team.
- Monitor industry news about BD and competitors and identify emerging issues. Develop and maintain appropriate relationships with media and other key groups.
- Support senior management with the development of speeches and presentations. Find the voice of the CEO.
- Bachelor’s degree required along with a minimum of 15 years of proven leadership in corporate communications. Industry experience in medical tech or healthcare in general a plus.
- Experience working with a geographically dispersed workforce is preferred. Experience in a regulated industry is a must.
- Able to build relationships through personal credibility; operate without vested self-interest. Consistently offer quality advice, counsel, and insight. Create trust and mutual respect through words and actions.
- Self-motivated and a passion for the importance of the work. Develop an understanding of BD’s businesses and contribute in a meaningful way to the company’s strategic goals.
- Demonstrate a high degree of ethics and integrity along with strong analytical skills and sound judgment, leveraging data where possible to provide solutions. Timeliness and sense of urgency.
- Outstanding written, verbal and presentation skills. A hands-on contributor able to capture the voice of senior leaders.
- Ability to foster a highly collaborative environment while driving accountability. Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence. Ability to effectively build relationships and credibility across the organization.
- Proven experience developing/building strong teams and the ability to work well with a global team already in place. Someone whose reputation is that of a transformational leader.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-09