Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
System VP – Government Affairs
We’ve made a lot of progress since opening the doors in 1942, but one thing has never changed – our commitment to serve, heal, lead, educate, and innovate. We believe that every award earned, every record broken and every patient helped is because of the dedicated employees who fill our hallways.
At Ochsner, whether you work with patients every day or support those who do, you are making a difference and that matters. Come make a difference at Ochsner Health and discover your future today!
This job leads the Government Affairs team and develops, leads, and executes legislative strategy for Ochsner Health. This role is responsible for government affairs in three states and at the federal level, advises senior executive leadership on recommended advocacy, represents the health system in high-level legislative efforts, and works closely with lobbyists, local, state, and federal officials on complex health and wellness policy issues.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at the company’s discretion.
Required – Bachelor’s degree in public policy, political science, business administration, or related field.
Preferred – Master’s degree in public health, health administration or business administration.
Required – 10 years of in-depth experience in healthcare, government relations, political science, public policy, or related fields. Experience must include management of government affairs at state or federal level.
Preferred – 3 years of developing and implementing legislative and regulatory solutions.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Advanced knowledge of healthcare legislation and regulation.
- Exceptional organizational skills, project and time management skills and ability to carry out duties in a fast-paced environment, be self-directed and use good judgment in handling difficult situations.
- Excellent research, analytical and operational problem-solving skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and ability to present information clearly and professionally to diverse audiences.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Proficiency in using computers, software, and web-based applications.
- Plans, organizes, and executes government affairs strategies and activities in order to help facilitate strategic business growth initiatives.
- Translates complex legal and regulatory issues into a practical framework for key stakeholders to establish health and wellness solutions.
- Collaborates with the Senior VP of Public Affairs and VPs of Government Relations on department budget/performance metrics, outside consulting contracts, deliverables and relationships.
- Develops key relationships with external parties to shape legislative activity and deliver on strategic business priorities aligned with Ochsner’s mission, values and vision.
- Represents Ochsner Health at public events including federal, statewide and local business organizations, as well as local, regional and national healthcare and wellness associations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
Remains knowledgeable on current federal, state and local laws, accreditation standards or regulatory agency requirements that apply to the assigned area of responsibility and ensures compliance with all such laws, regulations and standards.
This employer maintains and complies with its Compliance & Privacy Program and Standards of Conduct, including the immediate reporting of any known or suspected unethical or questionable behaviors or conduct; patient/employee safety, patient privacy, and/or other compliance-related concerns. The employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Physical and Environmental Demands
The physical essential functions of this job include (but are not limited to) the following: Frequently exerting 10 to 20 pounds of force to move objects; occasionally exerting up to 100 pounds of force. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Are you ready to make a difference? Apply Today!
Ochsner Health does not consider an individual an applicant until they have formally applied to the open position on this careers website.
Individuals who reside in and will work from the state of Colorado are not eligible for remote work position.
Ochsner Health endeavors to make our site accessible to all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website, or if you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact our HR Employee Solution Center at 504-842-4748 (select option 1) or firstname.lastname@example.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-24