Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Tax Policy Manager
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square provides a full-service payroll product with automated tax filings and employee benefits all in one place. As we expand into new tax jurisdictions and sellers with more complex taxes, we need to grow our compliance systems to identify and address issues that arise with tax filings. You will build the vision and set requirements for a compliance system that stays up-to-date with an ever-changing policy landscape, provides high-level reporting and measurement of compliance performance, and allows us to troubleshoot issues as they arise, and prioritize solutions with Product and Engineering teams.
- Monitor local, state & federal agencies for payroll tax changes
- Establish policy for agency-initiated tax changes.
- Work with Product Management & Ops leads to determine if / how we follow these policies.
- Determine risks and impact of possible implementations. Review and approve tax requirements for new features. Escalate risk assessment as necessary.
- Help build a strategy and implement system level testing for policy compliance to ensure we proactively identify compliance risk.
- Nice-to-have: Advocate gov’t agencies for changes that benefit small businesses & our ability to serve them
- 3-5 years of experience in accounting, government relations, or risk assessment
- Experience building sustainable, repeatable processes to improve the effectiveness
- The ability to create clarity from ambiguity and break down complex projects into manageable, interdependent deliverables.
- The ability to understand and deal well with rapid development cycles and to remain flexible in the face of uncertainty.
- Experience managing trade-offs given specific constraints.
- Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills; ability to inspire team members.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-28