TechCongress is building 21st century government with technology talent through our Congressional Innovation Fellowship. We are a non-profit startup incubated at the Open Technology Institute at New America. Our mission is to bridge the divide between Congress and the technology sector by placing technologists to work with Members of Congress and Congressional Committees in order to build capacity in Congress, train cross-sector leaders— who can understand the challenges of government and the technology community— and keep Congress up-to-date about the latest challenges and opportunities relating to technology.
We are looking for a self-starter and great communicator to help us build and grow the program!
Our employees have great benefits including excellent health care coverage, 12 weeks paid parental leave, a generous vacation policy, a 403(b) retirement plan (and a 7% contribution by TechCongress after one year of employment), a convenient location in downtown DC close to mass transit, and access to top thinkers, researchers, and agents of change along an an array of cross-cutting issue areas. This is an exciting role to help build an organization at the intersection of tech, policy and politics and bridge the government and technology sectors. This position is located in Washington, D.C.
- Have primary responsibility for the Congressional Innovation Fellows and their activities in Congress, including recruitment and selection of fellows, orientation and placement of fellows, organizing events, meetings, and regular check-ins.
- Lead communications, including social media, a regular newsletter, reporter relationships, op-ed writing, blog posts, program materials, and website content.
- Manage the DC office, including partnership development, intern management, and administration of programs.
- Lead our DC relationships by conducting interviews with Congressional staff and others to help improve the program.
- Manage all activities of the fellowships, including our recruitment, ongoing programming, fundraising and administrative needs.
- Help us continue to build the core fellowship and test new models and ideas for growth, including training programs for Congressional staff.
- Participate in TechCongress training or development programs (including accelerator programs).
- A great communicator with strong interpersonal, writing and editing skills
- Someone who is self-motivated and entrepreneurial
- A person who does well at setting their own agenda- you excel because it’s important to you, and you don’t need a lot of external pressure to perform
- Experience leading communications efforts
- Six – eight years of professional experience
- Minimum of two years of experience working with Capitol Hill either as a staffer or as part of an outside group that regularly engages with Congress
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds with unique skillsets.
- A willingness to try new things, and fail, and bring a creative and entrepreneurial energy to the job.
- Track record of success taking initiative and working with others.
- Committed to modernizing our legislative branch by helping Members of Congress and Congressional staff.
- A desire to be part of a program making an impact on good governance
Ideally you have one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of technology policy issues
- Fundraising experience
- Experience managing a fellowship program
- Technical ability or familiarity with technology
- Familiarity with Executive Branch technology initiatives (including the US Digital Service, 18F, the Technology Transformation Service or Presidential Innovation Fellows)
We know you may not have every qualification as listed. We encourage you to apply if you think you might be a good fit, regardless of how many of these items align perfectly to your experience. Imposter syndrome can prevent great people from applying for jobs, and we don’t want to miss out on working with you just because you don’t have all of the experience outlined here.
Within 1 month, you will…
- Meet regularly with the 2019 fellows and staff in Congress.
Within 3 months, you will…
- Direct our outreach in Washington, DC, meeting with think tanks, tech companies, academics, agency officials and prospective fellows.
- Publish an op-ed and convene at least one event for our 2019 fellows.
- Run our communications efforts.
- Be setting your own agenda and meeting milestones you developed.
Within 6 months, you will…
- Launch and manage recruitment for our 2020 class of Congressional Innovation Fellows!
- Lead the day-to-day work of fellowship activities in DC.
Within 12 months, you will…
- Be running our DC operations and DC-based fellowships programs
- Help us launch an entirely new initiative, that you helped conceive from the ground up.
Questions? You can contact us by sending a note to Brooke Hunter at brooke [at] techcongress [dot] io or Travis Moore at travis [at] techcongress [dot] io.
Salary: $90,000-$110,000 DOE
Job posted: 2019-03-30