Technology and Innovation Policy Director
The National Restaurant Association, one of the most influential business associations, has tremendous opportunity for a Technology and Innovation Policy Director. As an integral member of our Public Affairs team, this high profile position will work under the direction of the Vice President of Public Policy to develop comprehensive regulatory and legislative strategies and tactics that advance the Association’s mission and public policy agenda.
The Technology and Innovation Policy Director will have subject matter expertise in policy areas related to electronic payments systems, data security and privacy, gift and prepaid cards, intellectual property and trademark issues, music licensing, and other issues as assigned. Additionally, the Director will work closely with the Association’s member companies and state partners; federal, state, and local officials; and other third-party stakeholders and coalitions as an industry advocate.
We are looking for a highly collaborative, seasoned government affairs professional with a keen understanding of the legislative, regulatory, and political processes. The ideal candidate will bring five to seven years of experience, successfully working in aligned positions on Capitol Hill, the Administration and/or Trade Association, preferably on data security, privacy, and patent reform.
Join us at this critical moment as we work to revitalize the industry.
- Provide strategic direction on all issues impacting restaurant and foodservice profitability, including, but not limited to, legislative and regulatory strategy, press and other external communications, internal member communications, and marketplace opportunities.
- Analyze legislative and regulatory initiatives, as well as the political landscape surrounding those initiatives. Strategize and implement efforts to achieve restaurant and foodservice industry policy goals.
- Identify and explain emerging policy issues in the technology, innovation, and commerce areas impacting the restaurant industry.
- Represent and advocate on behalf of the Association and its members before opinion leaders, lawmakers, regulators, and at key briefings, panels, conferences and meetings on commerce and innovation, and other issues impacting restaurant and foodservice profitability. This will include lobbying activity.
- Draft Congressional and regulatory communications, including industry comments and Congressional testimony.
- Provide strategic input on political giving and represent the Association at political events on issues related to technology and innovation as needed.
- Develop and execute thought leadership, issue monitoring, issue advocacy/forecasting and internal strategy development on key issues, including electronic payments, music licensing, data privacy, digital identity, and other policy trends.
- Build strategic relationships with and represent the Association at meetings with Members of Congress, congressional staff, Administration officials and agency staff.
- Provide strategic direction and assist with the Association’s participation in key coalition and advocacy groups related to the Director’s areas of responsibility.
- Work closely with the Association’s Advocacy Communications staff to respond to media inquiries and press outlets on topics related to the Directors areas of responsibility.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships and proactively participate with other food industry trade associations with common interests.
- Work on special projects and other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Public Policy to advance public affairs department’s goals and success.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Advanced degree(s) preferred, in Political Science, Government Relations, Public Policy or equivalent.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience with a Trade Association, Capitol Hill or an Administration position, having engaged in the legislative and regulatory process with a particular emphasis on data security and privacy issues.
- Demonstrative abilities in collaborative team building and consensus.
- Possess strong work ethic and high degree of integrity; shows discretion and protects confidential information.
- Exceptional strategic vision in areas of business, government affairs, and the restaurant industry.
- Deep functional experience in government and public affairs.
- Established and proven relationships in the government arena with demonstrated coalition building skills.
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Significant business and stakeholder relationship building experience.
- Broad fundamental understanding of the restaurant industry/business environment.
- Significant written and presentation skills; showcases clear and concise manner.
- Ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of government and business.
- Ability to effectively synthesize, translate, and summarize complex policy topics for use by internal and external stakeholders.
- Computer proficiency across MS Office including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint applications;
ability to learn additional software as required.
- Highly effective organizational, time-management, priority-setting and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently.
- Highly adaptable; ability to work well under pressure, within fast-paced and fluid environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strongly encourage women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans to apply for our job openings. This commitment supports our policy of developing and capitalizing on the abilities of all our team members, as well as selecting, developing and promoting those who are best qualified.
Applicants should apply via the link below:
Job posted: 2021-03-23