Transportation Policy & Regulatory Specialist
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading international law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We are currently seeking a Transportation Policy and Regulatory Specialist in our Litigation practice, reporting directly to the Practice Management Coordinator and supervising attorneys.
The Transportation Policy and Regulatory Specialist will have the opportunity to work with experts in the field of transportation policy helping to represent a broad array of clients, including airports, public transit agencies, highway and toll road authorities. The Transportation Policy and Regulatory Specialist will help provide support in representing these clients before Congress and the executive branch and work on legal aspects of project development and implementation.
The position will reside in the Washington DC office and will be responsible for researching and providing paralegal support to attorneys whose practice involves transportation and infrastructure. The Transportation policy and Regulatory Specialist will be assigned to carefully monitor legislative, regulatory and policy developments, attend congressional hearings, meetings of relevant trade associations and other relevant meetings in Washington, draft hearing memos, reports on meetings and other reports for clients, undertake client development research and provide general assistance to a project team of attorneys.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Conduct statutory, regulatory or factual research with respect to client matters. Such research might include investigation of federal or state laws and regulations, relevant markets, corporate participants and industry standards and practices.
- Monitor news coverage regarding current and potential client matters.
- Monitor legislative & congressional committee activities, including hearings, press releases, and member statements regarding current and potential client matters. Draft written summaries of the same for attorney/client review.
- Identify federal funding opportunities.
- Monitor the Federal Register and the introduction of bills in Congress and provide timely information regarding developments impacting clients or potential clients.
- Attend congressional hearings, meetings at federal departments and agencies and trade association meetings in D.C.
- Participate in due diligence and other reviews of client records and files.
- Assist with organization of client materials and attorney work product, including use of databases, imaging systems and other computer-based technology.
- Maintain pleadings files and other case or project records; circulate materials to project team, as needed. Maintain chronological records of project activity.
- Arrange filings, mailings and service list deliveries with appropriate courts, government agencies and other parties.
- Under the supervision of an attorney, draft, edit, cite-check, conform and otherwise assist in the preparation of legal documents.
- Obtain services from outside contractors, including court reporters, research services, exhibit preparation services, filing services and printers. Process billing and disbursement paperwork in connection with those services.
- Act as liaison for the project team with support departments and other offices of the firm, anticipating and assuming responsibility for special staffing needs, such as overtime, clerical and/or notary assistance.
- As requested by the Practice Management Coordinator or assigned attorneys, coordinate work of paralegals and/or project assistants or clerical team members.
Qualifications (Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Substantive knowledge of and familiarity with specific areas of law, legislative process, and politics; knowledge of transportation and infrastructure policy preferred
- Prior Capitol Hill experience a plus; experience in political, legislative, or executive branch setting desirable but not required
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate potentially detailed and complex information to others
- Aptitude and willingness to work with complex procedures
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and others
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Strong service orientation, and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners
- Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-24