U.S. Press Secretary
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality.
Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The U.S. Press Secretary is responsible for providing support for U.S. communications efforts, particularly earned and social media. The U.S. Press Secretary works with the Senior Communications Director to execute ONE’s media strategy across the country. This is a critical role within the Communications team based in Washington DC, reporting to the Senior Communications Director, North America.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Work with the Senior Communications Director to support U.S. communications efforts, including outreach to U.S. national and local earned media to secure coverage for ONE and its CEO
- Draft press releases, blog posts, letters to the editor, op-eds, talking points and other messaging materials
- Support media campaigns and coordinate with other team members and departments, including Global Communications, Government Relations, Policy, Membership Mobilizations, and Digital
- Assist in managing the U.S. and CEO Twitter accounts to amplify ONE’s work and engage media, stakeholders, and new audiences to raise ONE and the CEO’s profile
- Assist with the development of communications plans for projects in the U.S., and with the coordination of global communications projects
- Manage local media outreach including all outreach related to the annual Power Summit; prepare and staff ONE principals for interviews
- Track and monitor ONE media coverage & reporters
- Post news releases to the ONE website
- Oversee department interns
- Remain fully informed of all ONE policies, campaigns and an evolving political environment on the global, national and state levels
- Perform other duties as assigned
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and a minimum of 4 years of communications experience, preferably within a PR agency, policymaker or political organization, non-profit organization, newsroom, or similar environment. Capitol Hill or administration experience highly preferred.
- Exceptional writing skills
- Track record in pitching securing earned news coverage in mainstream media outlets
- Proven experience in using social media to communicate and engage with key audiences
- Established relationships with journalists, especially in Washington, particularly on the issues of foreign affairs and global health.
- Unrelenting attention to accuracy and detail
- Motivated self-starter eager to take on projects
- Ability to work effectively, independently and in a team environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Willingness and ability to travel
- General interest in and dedication to the mission of ONE
- Strong knowledge of, and interest in, foreign affairs and/or global development is preferred
- Strong understanding of U.S. politics
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, analytical, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Takes action and is and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required.
Travel up to 10% domestic. Possible and limited international travel.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Flexible work environment with the option to work a combination in the office and remotely. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing via our Contact Page. ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job posted: 2021-09-20