Oak Brook, IL
McDonald’s is more than the world’s largest chain of quick service restaurants, serving millions of customers in over 100 countries daily. Under the leadership of CEO, Steve Easterbrook, and his executive team, our purpose goes beyond what we sell. We’re using our scale and reach to be a positive force around the world.
McDonald’s seeks a Manager for its U.S. Public Affairs team. The position will lead external and internal engagement with a broad range of stakeholders to proactively and reactively address issues impacting the reputation of the business. In this role, the manager will act as an ambassador for the brand and is responsible for maintaining positive working relations between the company and relevant non-governmental organizations, professional associations, academic institutions, think tanks and advocacy organizations in order to inform and influence U.S public policy and perception. This position will be a member of the Corporate Relations team, led by Global Chief Communications Officer Robert Gibbs. The position reports to the Senior Director of U.S. Public Affairs and will work closely with the Global Policy and Engagement team.
The U.S. Public Affairs Manager will develop and execute an engagement plan with a primary focus on a specified set of issues impacting the business. This could include nutrition, supply chain/sustainability or labor. S/he will work closely with the Senior Director and Director to plan, coordinate and execute the activities of the U.S. public affairs team in the areas of message development, issue management, influencer engagement, policy communications and thought leadership. This person will work as part of a team to ensure that policy and reputational objectives align and support corporate and U.S. business goals throughout the region. The position will be based at McDonald’s headquarters in Oak Brook, Illinois (which will be located in downtown Chicago Spring 2018).
Principal Areas of Responsibility
- Working with key internal stakeholders to create the strategy and plan for external engagement based on the Company’s business priorities.
- Leading execution of strategy in partnership with relevant team(s), to build brand trust with stakeholders who influence the U.S. debate and policy outcomes that impact McDonald’s.
- Building relationships with these organizations through networking and outreach to achieve engagement objectives. This includes working formally and informally with external subject matter experts; representing McDonald’s at relevant meetings; and driving proactive outreach to convey McDonald’s progress in related areas as part of broader effort to build third-party support.
- Identifying trends, analyzing risks and developing opportunities for McDonald’s with applied insights from consumers, policy influencers and policymakers, in collaboration with the Issues Management Center of Excellence.
- Creating tools and executing tactics to assist in managing on-going issues, including developing briefing notes, position statements, and participating in the development of relevant reports and communications materials.
- Leading and participating in cross-functional teams relating to McDonald’s reputation.
- Providing input into strategic business decision making, through strong relationships with Corporate Relations team and other functions, including Supply Chain, Sustainability, Marketing and Menu.
- Acting as the “go-to” person when related issues arise, working in partnership with the communications team and subject matter experts.
Core Competencies and Skills
We seek someone with a strong work ethic who is a self-starter, shows passion, energy, excitement and enthusiasm for the journey ahead at McDonald’s. The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and core competencies:
- Intellectual Curiosity & Problem-Solving – intelligent and agile; comfortable with concepts and complexity; able to think independently and make sound, reasoned judgments and solve problems within a large organization.
- Accountability and Motivation – self-starter with strong sense of initiative, focused on results; ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and, at times, within ambiguous and undefined circumstances.
- Communication – excellent oral, written and overall communications skills; can credibly adopt a broad range of communication styles; sensitive to specific audiences in tone as well as content.
- Business Acumen/Strategic Perspective – understands business and the strategic role of Public Affairs in assessing and analyzing challenges and opportunities in line with business objectives.
- Ability to Influence – strong influencing skills in an external context; plus strong influencing and change management skills to effectively manage internally in a complex matrix environment that is undergoing transformation and change.
- Team-Orientation – a strong team-minded approach with ability to lead teams and effectively manage projects; ability to work assertively and collaboratively with management and colleagues at all levels of a decentralized organization.
- Composure – Comfortable working in a fast-paced & deadline-driven environment; strong work ethic and personal integrity; calm under pressure.
- Developing and Leveraging Relationships – possesses a diverse network of external relationships in the government and non-government space. Builds and sustains relationships and can call upon those networks to accomplish objectives.
- BA/BS degree required; Graduate degree in law or related field preferred
- 5+ years of experience in stakeholder engagement and policy (possibly in corporate, government, agency or relevant NGO/association environments).
- Possesses a sophisticated understanding of how the U.S. public policy arena works. This will have been gained by at least 5 years of relevant experience in stakeholder engagement and policy (possibly in corporate, government, agency or relevant NGO/association environments).
- Experience in policy communications and the relevant use of various media relations in order to influence the desired outcome.
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience in the design, regulatory implementation, advocacy or oversight of one or more of the following policy areas: food, nutrition, sustainability, environment, labor or franchising required.
- Experience in providing strategic counsel to senior business executives particularly with regards to stakeholder engagement, message strategy development, media strategy, planning and execution.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including an ability to convey complex policy issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 12, 2017