Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
U.S. State Government Relations Senior Advisor
At ExxonMobil, our vision is to lead in energy innovations that advance modern living and a net-zero future. As one of the world’s largest publicly traded energy and chemical companies, we are powered by a unique and diverse workforce fueled by the pride in what we do and what we stand for.
The success of our Upstream, Product Solutions and Low Carbon Solutions businesses is the result of the talent, curiosity and drive of our people. They bring solutions every day to optimize our strategy in energy, chemicals, lubricants and lower-emissions technologies.
We invite you to bring your ideas to ExxonMobil to help create sustainable solutions that improve quality of life and meet society’s evolving needs. Learn more about our What and our Why and how we can work together.
What role you will play in our team
- The Northeast State Government Relations Senior Advisor serves as ExxonMobil’s principal point of contact with governors’ offices, state legislators, statewide elected and appointed officials, as well as numerous third-party organizations, including trade and business associations in the Northeast U.S. (multiple states)
- The senior advisor’s primary responsibilities include monitoring policy developments, managing engagements and developing government relations strategies for all Northeast U.S. state legislative activity and executive branch directives of importance to ExxonMobil, XTO Energy or other ExxonMobil business units and corporate priorities
- The position is located in Washington, D.C. with routine travel throughout the Northeast region
What you will do
- Direct lobbying of state legislative and executive branches. Interface with governors, staff, cabinet members, legislators and regulatory agencies
- Build relationships with organizations, individuals and regulatory agencies that have influence on government affairs issues
- Recommend and manage political contributions, in compliance with state law. Ensure compliance with state lobbying laws, disclosure reports and contributions activity
- Develop company positions with relevant subject matter experts on key public policy issues and related messaging
- Develop political analysis to support execution of business objectives
- Manage associated department budget
- Prepare and develop government affairs background information and materials for internal clients. These products may include (but not limited to) political analysis, bill analysis and legislative highlights
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 10 years of direct lobbying (state or federal) and advocacy experience in a highly regulated industry
- Varied public policy experience that may include a government setting, large international corporation, trade or business organization, or think tank
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to understand and communicate complex issues
- Strong public speaking skills and willingness to provide public comment/testimony on key policy issues during regular and/or interim legislative sessions
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and stakeholders
- Travel (within the U.S.) ~25%
- Experience managing external retained advocate/s and contracts generally
- Strong understanding of the U.S. political system and ability to work with members of all political parties
Preferred Qualifications/ Experience
- Experience in energy and/or environmental policymaking and advocacy
- Experience in a governor’s office, executive agency or legislator’s office
- Solid understanding of public policy development, legislative and/or regulatory processes and strategies for leveraging influence
- Experience working successfully within a large, matrix organization
- Experience in project management and/or negotiations
An ExxonMobil career is one designed to last. Our commitment to you runs deep: our employees grow personally and professionally, with benefits built on our core categories of health, security, finance, and life.
We offer you:
- Pension Plan: Enrollment is automatic and at no cost to you. The basic benefit is a monthly annuity to be paid to you in retirement for the rest of your life
- Savings Plan: You can contribute between 6% and 20% of your pay and are encouraged to enroll right away. If you contribute at least 6% to your savings plan, the Company will contribute a 7% match
- Workplace Flexibility: We have several programs such as “Flex your Day”, providing ad-hoc flexibility around when and where you work, as well as longer-term programs such as leaves of absence and part-time work
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans
- Culture of Health: Programs and resources to support your wellbeing
- Employee Health Advisory Program: Provides confidential professional counseling for you and your family, including tools and resources promoting mental health and resiliency at no additional cost to you
- Disability Plan: Income replacement for when you cannot work due to illness or injury occurring on or off the job. Enrollment is automatic and at no cost to you
Learn more here
More information on our Company’s benefits can be found at www.exxonmobilfamily.com.
Please note benefits may be changed from time to time without notice, subject to applicable law.
Job posted: 2023-04-25