US Federal Policy Director
Stripe is looking for a seasoned Public Policy and Government Relations professional to join our growing Public Policy team in the US.
Stripe is building the economic infrastructure that makes it easier for entrepreneurs and companies all over the world to grow their businesses. Founded in the US by two Irish brothers, Patrick and John Collison, Stripe now has operations around the world and dual headquarters in San Francisco and Dublin.
In this role you will deal with a diverse set of issues that straddle financial services, technology, internet regulation and economic policy. You will define, shape, and advocate for initiatives that increase the GDP of the Internet. You will help introduce Stripe to policymakers and influencers in Congress, the Administration, regulatory bodies, think tanks and other stakeholders and you will build strategies around engagement on key issues for the company.
Stripes on the Public Policy team operate in a fast paced internal and external environment that requires collaborating with teams across our organization and outside stakeholders. The culture is thoughtful, transparent, academically rigorous and kind. In this role you will have the opportunity to impact the trajectory of Stripe in the US and enhance financial innovation and inclusion.
If you are up for the challenge – we would love to hear from you!
In this role you will:
- Work together with our Public Policy Team across the globe as well as Stripe’s Americas team to strategically develop, pursue and execute policy objectives as part of Stripe’s global policy priorities
- Plan, develop, and execute policy initiatives and campaigns that advance Stripe’s policy goals and those of our users
- Develop and maintain relationships with Members of Congress, the Administration and key regulators, and serve as a representative of Stripe on trade groups or other industry bodies
- Directly engage senior policymakers and regulators to educate them about Stripe’s business and vision for the digital economy and the future of payments
- Help colleagues across Stripe understand potential policy developments and identify policy opportunities to grow our business
We are looking for someone with:
- At least 8+ years of experience working in a policymaking or government position, or similar experience at a public policy firm, world class in-house government relations organization or public institution. Ideally, a mix of both government and policy advocacy experience
- Strong financial services regulatory knowledge and business acumen – an understanding of internet technologies and the financial services and payments industry a plus
- A proven track record of success in managing complex, technical policy issues, capable of working independently or project managing a team
- Strong relationships with policymakers and staff and a reputation for working with both political parties
- Excellent judgment, capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information and learning from them
- A terrific communicator and writer, adept at working with lawyers, regulators, engineers, business teams, and colleagues to make complex concepts clear and understandable
- Passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrive
- A diverse background and intellectual curiosity
- Empathy, humility, and a respect for those who have views that are different from yours
- Experience working in a high-growth, rapidly scaling environment or a “start up” mentality
- A willingness to work with a diverse group of policy, regulatory, and product engineers who care deeply – about Stripe’s policy issues, our users and each other
At Stripe, we’re looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.
Job posted: 2021-10-12