US Government Affairs Manager
Manager of U.S. Government Affairs
The Manager of U.S. Government Affairs will help the government affairs team execute federal, state and local government and public affairs strategies to advance Huntsman Corporation’s position as a leading manufacturer of specialty chemicals. This position reports to the Director of Global Government Affairs based in Washington, D.C.
Located in Washington, DC, it will primarily assist in managing U.S. government affairs and will also be a key partner with government affairs colleagues in Brussels and Beijing.
The Type of Person We Seek
- You must possess the highest levels of integrity, honesty, and ethics. You know right from wrong and treat everyone with respect and professionalism.
- Skilled communicator who has a warm and positive executive presence.
- Unafraid to advocate a position in small and large group meetings with diverse viewpoints.
- Embraces sharing of information and breaking through organizational silos.
- Welcomes ambiguity and nonlinear environments.
- Confident, poised and a self-starting individual comfortable in the presence of government and business leaders.
- Strategic thinker who can execute tactically.
- Ability to lead projects to successful completion through careful project planning.
- Consumes and understands traditional and social media and how to leverage these environments in support of government and public affairs advocacy.
- Bipartisan and willing to develop relationships among diverse stakeholders to achieve company objectives.
- Knows how to build and use influence effectively within the company and among external stakeholders.
- Ability to turn a good idea into a great reality.
- Wants to learn about our company history, philanthropy, community impact and embrace our human chemistry that enriches lives through innovation.
- Knows what they don’t know, asks a lot of questions, is eager to learn new skills and seeks mentorship.
What You Will Do in the Job
- Learn about the company, business divisions, corporate functions, customers, industry, investors.
- Develop relationships with a wide spectrum of Huntsman associates.
- Assist in the development and execution of government affairs strategies to achieve legislative and policy goals.
- Serve in a project manager role for strategic initiatives by working with internal stakeholders to define project scope and craft and execute a thoughtful and intentional project plan.
- Identify and evaluate events impacting the industry and company before they happen to create opportunity or defend against threats.
- Liaise internally with Huntsman’s communications team, business divisions, corporate functions external consultants to develop advocacy materials, fact sheets, issue messages and other materials to concisely communicate Huntsman initiatives.
- Manage day-to-day Huntsman relationships with trade associations—primarily the American Chemistry Council—to ensure the company is maximizing relevant memberships.
- Participate in relevant staff-level work groups to advocate for Huntsman desired objectives.
- Draft and/or copyedit memos, talking points, speeches, testimony and thank you letters
- Develop and expand relationships with Congress and ensure Huntsman is a thought leader on key issues.
- Advocate for Huntsman on issues before the U.S. Congress, Administration and select state and local governments.
- Assist in the operation of Huntsman Political Action Committee (Huntsman PAC), including internal fundraising, communications and attending political events.
Education and Experience
- In addition to demonstrated capabilities and experience commiserate with to the above, you’ll need a minimum of 4+ years’ experience in roles relating to government, communications, lobbying, public affairs, campaigns, political, policy or press role; a Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Energy, environmental, oil, gas or chemical experience is welcome, but not required.
*Sponsorship now or in the future is not approved for this role. *
What can we offer you?
Huntsman offers unsurpassed opportunities to build a successful future. Our diverse portfolio creates a range of career fields including manufacturing, research and development, technical services, sales and marketing, customer service – and the list goes on.
Here, you can make an impact and make a difference. Come join us!
Huntsman is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all qualified applicants for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identification, sexual orientation and/or expression or any other characteristic protected by law in every location in which we have facilities national or local.
Please refer to https://www.huntsman.com/privacy/online-privacy-notice for Company’s Data Privacy and Protection information.
All unsolicited resumes presented by recruitment agencies are treated as pro bono information or service.
Huntsman is aware of a scam involving fraudulent job offers. Huntsman does not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job application and has participated in a face-to-face interview. Please be advised that emails from Huntsman always end in “@huntsman.com” and that any job offer that requires payment or requires you to deposit a check is likely a scam. If you have questions about any open positions at Huntsman, please visit our Careers website at http://www.huntsman.com/corporate/a/Careers.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-11-10