National Association of Manufacturers
The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) is seeking a Vice President of Advocacy to be responsible for advancing the National Association of Manufacturer’s policy priorities by overseeing and leading the association’s public affairs, issue advocacy, political engagement, regional field operations teams and its grassroots network. This position is part of the Leadership Staff team for the association.
Join the NAM and Make an Impact in the Following Ways:
- Manage the team responsible for the association’s grassroots program, grasstops support, and member engagement and be able to quickly develop advocacy tactics in support of the Association’s top legislative and regulatory policies.
- Lead a team of regionally based field operations professionals that are responsible for implementing the association’s political operations (outside of the PAC) to recognize, and hold accountable, policy makers and candidates who support manufacturing priorities. This includes overseeing the NAM’s political programs such as candidate interviews, questionnaires, voter guides and election tracking and engagement programs.
- Serve as the primary lead for the association’s issue advocacy campaigns. This includes the development of campaign plans and execution of campaign strategies and tactics that focus on grassroots mobilization, member company engagement, work with affiliated organizations and 3rd party surrogates.
- Manage certain issue advocacy coalitions and outreach to external stakeholders. This includes the association’s Congressional recognition program, legislative fly-in and grasstop strategies.
- Oversee and direct the Association’s grassroots network of individuals to take action in support of manufacturing’s top priority issues. Must be able to develop effective digital advocacy strategies to grow and leverage the association’s network of individual, non-member, advocates from the general public.
- Work with NAM members, affiliate organizations and outside partners to coordinate the implementation of the association’s issue campaigns.
- Speak on behalf of the association’s top priorities in public settings with association members, partners, political groups and the general public.
- Responsible for developing and managing a departmental budget and managing a team of advocacy professionals.
The above list of responsibilities is representative of the position and not intended to limit or preclude other responsibilities and tasks that may be associated with or added to the position.
- This position has 6 direct reports, including 3 full time employees based outside of NAM Headquarters.
We are looking for a Team Leader who meets the Following Criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree preferably with a political science or public policy emphasis and 10 years of association experience,Corporate government affairs or public affairs, state-level association, political campaign or Capitol Hill experience;
- Experience working for (or closely with) a national association in a position of coordinating affiliated state associations is required;
- Must possess a bold and innovative drive to develop and seize new advocacy opportunities.
- Strong writing, organizational/time and budget management skills;
- Must be able to effectively manage outside vendors and service providers and develop campaign budgets and action plans;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work as a team;
- Ability to handle pressure in a deadline driven environment and have the ability to develop and assess clear performance metrics for various tactics and programs.
- Must possess a strong understanding of the executive branch and the legislative process;
- Must be an outstanding communicator with a demonstrated aptitude for public speaking;
- Previous experience managing people and programs is necessary;
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to build commitment toward organizational goals;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, quality and goal driven environment.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Posted: August 20, 2017