Vice President, Advocacy
If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc. (Nasdaq: NVAX) is a biotechnology company that promotes improved health globally through the discovery, development, and commercialization of innovative vaccines to prevent serious infectious diseases. Novavax is currently conducting multiple late-stage clinical trials for NVX-CoV2373, our vaccine candidate against the virus that causes COVID-19, and has recently reported exciting and highly encouraging initial efficacy results. NanoFlu, our quadrivalent influenza nanoparticle vaccine, met all primary objectives in its pivotal Phase 3 clinical trial in older adults. Both candidate vaccines incorporate Novavax’s proprietary saponin-based Matrix-M adjuvant to enhance the immune response and stimulate high levels of neutralizing antibodies. Novavax is a leading innovator of recombinant vaccines. Our proprietary technology platform leverages the power and speed of genetic engineering to efficiently produce highly immunogenic nanoparticles in order to address urgent global health needs.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic.
This critical leadership role will develop and grow Novavax’s advocacy efforts across the U.S. and globally. This includes developing and implementing advocacy strategies and stakeholder engagement and supporting the company’s Government Affairs, Policy and Market Access objectives. This position is responsible for hiring and developing an Advocacy team that builds relationships with key targeted national, regional and international organizations, and overseeing the development and implementation of all disease-specific ally development strategies relating to Novavax’s business and policy agenda. Attention will be placed on knowledge and experience in communities related to therapeutic areas that are in common with the company’s business, as well as relationships with other constituents that would impact the commercial, market and policy environment. The VP will be relied upon to support Government Affairs, Market Access, Marketing, Corporate Communications, and Medical Affairs. By working closely with trade groups, specialty societies, academic organizations and physician/patient advocates, the Advocacy team will actively position Novavax as a leading biotechnology company that can be a valuable resource with elected public officials, managed care organizations, medical and business organizations that have a major influence in the development of public healthcare policy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Hire and develop a world class Advocacy team for global, national and regional advocacy relating to COVID, influenza, RSV and other infectious diseases.
- Serve as the primary connector with advocacy groups and patient communities.
- Oversee the development and implementation of all national, global, and regional advocacy networks.
- Coordinate and oversee alliance activities and strategic advocacy strategies with internal audiences including Government Affairs, Market Access, Marketing, Sales, Corporate Communications, Medical Affairs, Research and Development, Regulatory and Legal departments.
- Establish and enhance relationships with key influencers, national and regional patient and professional groups in targeted disease areas.
- Coordinate consistent and concise messaging among internal audiences and external advocacy partners.
- Customize messages that are intended to gain support from specific ally organizations, in coordination with Government Affairs, Corporate Communications, Market Access, Medical Affairs,
Research and Development, Regulatory, Legal and Marketing teams.
- Prepare regular update reports that indicate progress of allied and grassroots development plans and implementation timeline.
- Make recommendations, coordinated with brand teams and corporate communications, about sponsorship support to third party organizations. This includes grants, meeting sponsorships and display opportunities.
- Manage the successful and effective implementation of key ally development projects, employing advocacy and grassroots consultants, and local PR firms, as needed, to mobilize allies for global, national and state based actions and communicate results to internal staff and management.
- Represent Novavax and Novavax’s public policy objectives and goals through membership and active participation on key association boards and committees.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years experience in the biotech, pharmaceutical, healthcare sector, advocacy, healthcare marketing, public affairs, or a background in ally development in a healthcare agency.
- BA/BS degree.
- Proven leadership success; experience building and leading team.
- Excellent analytical skills and strong strategic planning abilities are essential.
- Strong negotiation skills and an ability to work with a broad and diverse set of customers are necessary.
- Excellent communication skills; specifically, a proven ability to interact with advocates on health related issues. Existing relationships with business organizations, patient advocacy groups and other coalitions that influence health policy will be a plus.
- Experience working cross functionally across an organization.
- Experience building advocacy networks domestically and internationally
- Candidates must have demonstrated adaptability, innovation, a strong sense of teamwork and strong leadership abilities in prior positions.
Moderate travel required (25-35%).
Novavax is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic. Novavax is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol NVAX and is dedicated to developing novel vaccines to address infectious disease.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-11