Vice President, Advocacy Communications
Summary of Position:
The role of Vice President, Advocacy Communications is responsible for developing and overseeing the efforts to increase and enhance the restaurant industry image and its public affairs efforts. The position will collaborate with the SVP of Public Affairs on developing a communications strategy that will help further the overall organization strategy. Execution of the agreed upon strategy and goals of this department are the responsibility of the VP, Advocacy Communication. The person in this role will build robust and collaborative internal and external relationships to achieve Association’s public affairs priorities.
• Works as part of Communications team to accomplish Association public affairs goals.
• Assists SVP, Public Affairs to accomplish departmental goals.
• Supports all internal team members and departments following the Association mission and values while promoting Association culture.
• Assists in managing issue advocacy campaigns in support of Association goals and objectives related to communications-related priorities.
• Creates and leads industry image-promotion activities and develops and maintains the Association’s image and identity through coordinated messaging.
• Helps develop and coordinate communications strategies to reach and inform critical audiences.
• Manages communication flow to members and state restaurant associations to ensure the continuance of a strong working relationship among these critical audiences.
• Executes and delivers industry and Association messaging and communications to critical audiences around Association’s priorities.
• Works with head of editorial department to coordinate promotion of Association priorities and events for the editorial calendar.
• Ensures digital, social and earned media efforts and goals are fully integrated
• Other duties as assigned.
• Works on special projects and other duties as required helping to promote department’s success.
Essential Use of Following Tools:
• Computer & Printer
• BA or BS college degree required in journalism or communication preferred or relevant work experience.
• 10 years’ experience in communications, including managerial experience.
• Job-related experience: Significant knowledge and background in journalism/public relations, public affairs, editorial, publications, media relations, events, campaigns and writing.
• Strong writing skills
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
• Computer literate (Excellent knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint applications)
• Ability to use social media listening software
• Ability to learn other computer software programs, and enter and maintain accurate data/information
• Strong strategic vision in areas of business and communications
• Deep functional experience in all areas of communication
• Basic knowledge of office equipment such as fax and telephone
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of work records
• Strong organizational skills
• Problem-solving skills
• Time management skills
• Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills
• Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently
• Considerable people management skills; capable of acting as leader, advisor, mentor, and coach
• Demonstrative abilities in collaborative team building and consensus
• Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills
• Significant business and stakeholder relationship building experience
• Broad fundamental understanding of the restaurant industry/business environment
• Responsiveness to change and leads as a change agent
• Significant communication skills in written and verbal formats; showcases clear and concise manner
• Ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of business
• Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently; a self initiator, versatile and assumes risk with responsibility
Essential Mental Requirements:
• Analyzes and evaluates information; assimilates and understands incoming information and uses cognitive skills to determine direction independently.
• Composes and develops written analysis and instruction and responds to written requests for information.
• Composes and develops verbal analysis and instructions and verbally responds, answers, and/or directs information requests in person on a variety of topics.
• Travels independently to local and distant sites.
• Functions well under pressure maintaining composure and professionalism.
• Adapts to shifting priorities, able to cope with a fast-paced work environment; perseveres with tenacity
• Must be able to work as an integral part of the Communications Team
• Must be able to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
• Must be able to understand the importance of the position for the success of the business
• Ability to accept changes, be flexible and resilient
• Be on time and with a minimal amount of absence
• Must be able to work as an integral part of the senior management team of the organization
• Must be able to make complex decisions for tough problems
• Must be able to manage multiple projects; separating mission critical from the non-strategic; with minimal supervision
• Must be fearless in tackling issues and challenges as they arise; doesn’t avoid confrontation
• Ability to focus on directing appropriate action and outcomes
• Must be able to act with honor, character and integrity
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-02-20