Vice President of Brand Communications
At Cortland, you map the story of your success. We don’t adhere to the status quo, we love outside industry perspective, and we thrive on exploring possibilities and reimagining solutions. As an innovative leader in multifamily, our high performance continues to drive exponential growth – and we invite you to join us on our journey towards real estate excellence. With tools and guidance to sharpen your skills, you can forge your own career path, love what you do, and let it show.
The Vice President of Brand Communications is responsible for overseeing and driving a coordinated, forward-thinking brand and communications strategy targeting external audiences, which includes prospective and existing residents, investors, and the media.
The scope of responsibility for this position has significant reach and influence across Cortland’s global business. It includes brand and marketing communications, public relations, and crisis and reputation management with oversight over a team that manages current resident and prospect communication, public relations, social media, customer service, and online reputation management (ORM).
This position reports into the Executive Vice President of Marketing and is based in Atlanta, GA.
Roles You Will Play
What You Do Best:
- You are a customer-centric storyteller who is results-oriented, values-focused, and able to navigate the complexities of a growing brand that appeals to a multi-tiered audience.
- You are a strategist who excels in communications planning and the ability to map out strategies that advance the company’s brand and anticipate future needs and opportunities.
- You have a “roll up your sleeves” attitude, strong bias-to-action, and an entrepreneurial and highly creative spirit.
- You can write a compelling line of copy just as easily as you can spearhead a robust content strategy.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, people-focused environment.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Own the continued evolution of a compelling brand campaign and communications strategy that aligns with Cortland’s long-term brand vision and drives awareness of Cortland’s brand in its key markets.
- Build out a scalable and cost-effective brand and communications infrastructure with preferred outside agencies.
- Refresh the brand positioning/messaging to anchor go-to-market and target audience messaging.
- Develop and execute an integrated content strategy to be implemented across platforms and drive audience engagement within the context of the organization’s brand and communications goals.
- Partner closely with the internal communications and talent teams to help ensure consistency and adoption of brand language and standards across associate communications, training, tool kits, etc.
- Resident and Prospect Communications
- Develop and oversee all resident communication contact strategies and tactics; this includes management of channels, contacts, and creative.
- Work closely with the operations and talent development teams to ensure consistent execution of communication and brand standards with all resident/prospect-facing interactions.
- Partner with the marketing technology team to enhance communication platforms and further the development of automated prospect and resident communications strategies.
- Be the strategic communications and brand partner on all programmatic and resident-experience related initiatives and roll-outs, including all ad-hoc resident communications.
- PR/Reputation Management
- Be the thought leader and partner to the leadership team in managing Cortland’s public relations and communications across corporate communications, press, and crisis communication.
- Oversee the PR agency relationship in driving the implementation of all PR campaigns and activity including formulation, implementation, evaluation, budgets, and timelines.
- Serve as the primary company contact for public relations – manage all inbound media inquiries and thought leadership requests.
- Spearhead media training for executives and spokespersons in accordance with Cortland’s compliance policies and status as a registered investment advisor.
- Oversee crisis communications for the company, managing the company’s response to all levels of incidents / crisis events in line with the values and mission of the company.
- Manage the social media and reputation teams in driving Cortland’s commitment to a resident-centric living experience through both proactive and reactive strategies that build, promote, and protect the company’s reputation, particularly through online channels.
- Team Management / Editorial Responsibility
- Grow and manage a high-performing, creative, results-oriented team consisting of 4 direct reports (Communications Manager, Reputation Manager, PR Manager and Social Media Manager) with an overall team of seven.
- Serve as the company’s senior-most editor and brand conscience, ensuring communications (written and visual) are accurate and reflect the values and brand standards of the company.
- Produce compelling content and copy as needed to support the team’s output across channels, including but not limited to press releases, resident communication, investor updates, presentation materials, and executive communication.
Building Blocks of Success
- 4-year college degree in related field or equivalent progressive experience in communications and public relations
- 10+ years of communications and brand-building experience, including public relations and written content development
- Exceptional time-management, prioritization and multi-tasking skills; ability to quickly adapt to an often-changing and rapid-paced work environment
- A keen understanding of how to connect with target audiences and build brand communications plans that deliver compelling messaging and content across channels
- Highly creative and conceptual thinking skills, as well as the ability to develop those skills in others
- Superior business and creative writing skills, with the ability to generate a wide array of content – from media releases and social posts to executive-level presentations and high-stakes communication – with minimal editing needed
- The ability to monitor and report on campaign and team performance
- The ability to work creatively and effectively within the confines of limited resources/budget
- Strong presentation skills and knowledge of video/photo production processes
- Impeccable attention to detail and quality control
- Proven experience successfully managing and motivating people
At Cortland, we create, reimagine, and manage apartment communities for residents nationwide. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, we have communities and regional offices all over the country, as well as overseas. From product design and procurement to general contracting and property management, we do it all – to make sure our communities are the perfect setting for living life to its fullest.
Our success is fueled by our belief in a better life – where hospitality is always a given, each detail is worth a second thought, and every open door is a new opportunity to go beyond expectations. We come to work every day to create possibilities for people – possibilities that translate into superior living spaces and experiences designed to inspire our residents, associates, and investors to live a better life focused on what matters most to them.
Cortland is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud to support and celebrate diversity in the workplace. We are committed to equal consideration for all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance with the application process and/or using our website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404.965.3988. Cortland is a drug-free workplace. Cortland participates in e-verify to verify the employment status of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-02