Vice President for Communications
Under the direction of the President & CEO, the Vice President for Communications (VPC) is responsible for all aspects of communication for Meals on Wheels Central Texas (MOWCTX) and Meals on Wheels Central Texas In-Home Care (MOWCTX-IHC), including accomplishing its goal to communicate that MOWCTX is “More Than a Meal.” This includes implementing strategies to positively promote its vision, mission, programs/services, events, and needs both internally and externally to the public. The VPC oversees all communication, marketing and public relation related projects, including copywriting, content development (for web-based and written platforms), website, social media campaigns, and related outreach across all communication platforms. The VPC supports all other departments across the organization and works closely with department and program leaders to assist in accomplishing their communications goals.
Essential job functions include but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain public relations and marketing campaigns including regular, ongoing, effective contacts with the media to increase visibility; development of press releases and public service announcements; coordination of photography and videography services; and other events to highlight MOWCTX and MOWCTX-IHC programs.
- Develop and implement an annual communications plan that will guide verbal and written communications throughout the year, including ongoing implementation of the MOWCTX “More Than a Meal” campaign. Ensure consistency of message in all marketing and communications efforts.
- Supervise the Director of Marketing and assist with developing and maintaining website content, and email and social media communications, as needed.
- Write and submit award nominations to various organizations on behalf of MOWCTX and MOWCTX-IHC.
- Support members of Board of Directors (both MOWCTX and MOWCTX-IHC) with their public relations and marketing efforts.
- Write and publish all organization newsletters, related communications pieces, and annual Impact Report (for both MOWCTX and MOWCTX-IHC)
- Develop brochures, visual aids, and other graphic, printed materials as needed, for use in special events and/or presentations about the organization. Coordinate with graphic design firm as needed.
- Work closely with the Vice President for Development to develop, support and manage all fundraising related communications, including with donors, volunteers, and as needed, clients.
- Review and edit grant proposals, as needed.
- Attend evening and weekend meetings and events as necessary, including Board of Directors meetings.
- Write copy for President/CEO for donor and staff newsletters.
- Assist in ongoing training of staff on senior services model and activation of ambassador role for staff in community.
- Develop annual budget for Communications Department.
Please submit cover letter, resume, three professional writing samples and salary requirement. Applications will not be considered without writing samples and salary requirement.
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, advertising or related field is required
- Five years’ work experience in a responsible position in public relations, communications, advertising, or related field with proven ability to achieve results
- Will consider an alternative Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field and four years professional work experience in above areas with proven ability and measurable results
- Volunteer experience with a community based not-for-profit
- Excellent writing, public speaking, graphics and production (print, media, video) skills and knowledge
- Strong knowledge of Associated Press (AP) writing style
- Proven leadership skills managing and effectively leveraging staff, media professionals and a variety of communication platforms (including social media)
- Ability to remain poised under pressure; proven ability in public speaking; presents self and organization to the community in a positive, sincere and professional manner
- Knowledge of print, on-air (TV, radio and internet) and cyber media practices and procedures
- Ability to effectively communicate complex information to a variety of stakeholders
- Acts ethically, responsibly and with the upmost integrity at all times
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and reliable transportation required
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, veteran status, sex or age or any other legally protected status.
No phone calls please.
Job posted: 2020-10-01