Vice President, Communications
Silicon Valley Leadership Group (https://www.svlg.org/) seeks a driven, creative, and hands-on Vice President of Communications who in addition to a range of media platforms will focus on the Spanish-speaking communities and media-markets. The role requires a seasoned press or PR professional who brings connections at a national, regional, local, and digital level – in both English and Spanish – to place outgoing content across a dynamic range of platforms. They will also respond to incoming media and press requests – both English and Spanish language – with a tactical understanding.
Must be a self-starter and leader who is proactive and able to work both independently (as the position is remote for now) as well as in team settings. The person in the position will, in coordination with the Senior VP, be responsible for media response and strategy for all press inquiries. In the absence of the SVP of Media and Communications, the positions will manage the communications staff. During the Covid-19 pandemic, we are working from home offices. Our main office is located in San Jose, California near San Jose Airport.
- A strong multi-format writer with the ability to create content from press releases to articles to op-eds to digital copy.
- Fully bilingual in Spanish and in English, with fluent Spanish-language proficiency and with superior writing and verbal skills in both Spanish and English.
- Digitally fluent, with an understanding of the traditional and digital media landscape with ideas and proposals for expanding the reach of content along both channels.
- Must be comfortable with an on-camera, on-the-record role as spokesperson and/or host for media projects for the SVLG Communications department
- Must be highly organized with attention to detail
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and have an eye for errors and the ability to address them on the fly.
- Must have an aptitude for picking up new technology platforms to create content.
- Understand the objectives of both internal groups and external organizations in order to develop collaboration and support for goals, programs, and projects of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to capture the voice of the organization and its officials consistently and convincingly.
- Prepare and provide professional presentations.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Self-motivated with a superior work ethic, are technically savvy, and has the ability to work remotely as needed.
- A minimum of 5 + years in Media & Public Relations, Broadcasting, Entertainment Media or Press
- 1-3 years of management experience
- BA/BS in Public Relations, Communications, or any related field. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
The preferred candidate will possess:
Familiarity with media database programs like Cision, Meltwater, or similar
Previous high-level press secretary, TV station, Radio station, or other fast-paced news environment experience
Previous experience writing for a variety of publications and contexts including:
- Speech writing experience
- Social media management software experience
- Website editing experience
- Video editing experience
- Audio editing experience
Primary Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Draft and edit high-quality content including but not limited to press releases, media advisories, guest columns, articles, statements, story pitches, talking points, op-eds, and digital content.
- Create targeted media lists and other pitching materials to pitch stories.
- Working with policy teams and pitching ideas internally for new content.
- Pitching ideas externally on a daily and weekly basis.
- Assists in developing strategy, goals, objectives, and performance measurements for the Communications team.
- Produce a regular Spanish language podcast with talent from the internal organization as well as external guests.
- Manage and respond to requests from the media.
- Supervise assigned managerial employees and other assigned staff.
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant media including reporters, editors, digital media sources through regular outreach.
- Coordinate media and public relations activities, projects, and initiatives with other departments, outside agencies and jurisdictions.
- Coordinate and write briefing documents for media interviews.
- Other duties related to the communications department or its management as assigned.
Please submit three writing samples and links to media content created along with your cover letter.
Benefits: The benefits package includes paid holidays and vacation, medical/dental coverage for employees with a 10% employee contribution in 2020, long term disability, and life insurance coverage provided at no cost, 401K plan participation after six-month employment.
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. All employment with the Silicon Valley Leadership Group is At Will.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-27