Vice President, Communications
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Vice President of Communications will be responsible for formulating an integrated communications vision and lead all external communications and collaborate and guide the Director of Communications on internal communications for the company. In this role, the individual will be responsible for sharing the story of 10x Genomics and its advances in powering fundamental breakthroughs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience and more, with the media community and industry players to broaden awareness for the company.
In this role, the individual must be a self-starter, strategic thinker, detail oriented, action and output driven, thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, and succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate needs to be creative, flexible, collaborative and most important to think outside the box.
This role will report into the Chief Business Officer.
What you will be doing:
- Be able to work with the C-suite and product teams to develop and execute messaging and communications strategy to share the importance of 10x Genomics and ensure that there is a coherent and consistent corporate identity and messaging via PR, speaking opportunities, social media, awards and accolades.
- Leverage existing network and build strong relationships with members of the press, influencers, and partners, including serving as an on-record spokesperson.
- Lead, develop and execute a comprehensive and strategic global communications plan to create maximum awareness.
- Work with global PR agencies and regional marketing organization to develop and execute campaigns, outreach programs, and monitor brand activity globally.
- Must be highly strategic and drive for continuous improvement in execution of communications strategy.
- Commit to gaining a thorough understanding of our corporate strategy and the importance of each stakeholder segment to our corporate and commercial strategy, to chart out 10x Genomics’ communication strategy and messaging.
- Manage daily proactive and responsive communications for the company, including devising crisis communications strategy and rapid response efforts.
- Train, advise, and develop spokespeople for media interviews, press conferences, and industry presentations; prepare talking points and briefing docs.
- Oversee and collaborate with external firm that manages Government Affairs.
- Work across the company to manage internal company meetings collaborating with diverse groups and partners.
- Scale communications organization as the company gets grows and provide clear direction to team to manage both external stakeholder communication and internal communications (incl. internal company meetings).
- Develop written materials, such as key messages, FAQs and talking points to effectively communicate the company’s
- Skillfully influence internally and externally to navigate and be successful in a matrixed organization.
To be successful, you will need:
- BA/BS degree or other relevant practical experience; 15+ years of public relations, corporate communications, or media experience with a strong understanding of business needs and competitive challenges in the life science industry.
- 5+ years in management and leadership roles in previous mid to large size organizations; a strong leader who is passionate about coaching, team building and organizational development.
- Experience working directly with reporters and managing external agencies in the U.S. and globally.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator who can tailor messages to a diverse set of audiences.
- Ability to shift between strategy and execution and thrive in a fluid and dynamic environment.
- Cross-functional experience leading through complexity, with the ability to influence and collaborate with multiple stakeholders at all levels across functions.
- Ability to direct the Communications team and work in a matrixed organization, requiring coordination with the MarCom, Investor Relations and Software/Website teams.
- Track record of prioritizing and executing competing priorities in a fast-moving environment.
- Agile and think outside the box in internal and external communications while using sound judgement at all times.
It would be fantastic if you already had:
- Bachelors or Advanced degree in life science disciplines
- Prior experience in biotechnology is an advantage
Learn more here
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Job posted: 2021-02-16