Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President of Communications
Summary of Position:
Autos Drive America, the leading trade association representing international automakers with U.S. operations, is seeking a Vice President of Communications to develop, implement, and lead the association’s integrated communications strategy. The Vice President of Communications will oversee Autos Drive America’s policy communications, marketing, media relations, executive communications, crisis management, internal communications, and member relations communications to help advance the association’s mission.
The Vice President of Communications will be a key member of the senior leadership team, reporting to the President and CEO, and will work across all departments to ensure the success of Autos Drive America by delivering results for our members.
• Oversee development, management, and implementation of dynamic communications program to advance Autos Drive America’s policies and initiatives with the media and key stakeholders. A communications program would include earned, owned, and shared media initiatives.
• Coordinate with members of the government affairs and data analyst departments to promote Autos Drive America’s position inside and outside the Beltway on issues impacting our members.
• Serve, alongside the CEO, as senior ‘on-the-record’ representative for the organization with an emphasis on communicating with national, regional, and industry media.
• Leverage and build internal and external partnerships, including with media, other associations, and industry leaders, to elevate the voice of international automakers.
• Identify and address relevant issues and trends that are likely to affect public opinion of or attract media attention to Autos Drive America and its members. Advise Autos staff on all matters concerning media, public relations, and crisis communications.
• Lead and contribute to the development and distribution of a broad range of external communication mediums, including the association’s strategic plan, press releases, statements, talking points, presentations, newsletter articles, videos, board materials, etc.
• Oversee Autos Drive America’s social and digital platforms, including content development.
• Lead Autos Drive America’s Communications and Marketing Working Group by organizing regular meetings, keeping member companies up to date on important developments, and continuously soliciting input and feedback.
• Oversee and manage the association’s outside public relations and communications consultant.
• Reinforce brand consistency and excellence in all communication materials.
Skills and Attributes:
• A proven track record of developing and implementing a strategic communications plan designed to advance an organization’s mission, policy priorities, and reputation.
• Excellent executive presence, including verbal and written communication skills with a strong attention to detail.
• Ability to provide strategic communications counsel to key internal and external audiences.
• Strong results-oriented attitude with experience attracting, developing, and engaging a diverse team. Effective at setting direction and expectations and delegating to achieve objectives and goals.
• Strong initiative and ability to work proactively with minimal supervision. Excellent time management, including the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at once.
• Fluency in various social media platforms and adept with website administrator tools.
• Graphic design abilities/experience a plus.
• Strong sense of teamwork that builds positive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, and a willingness to help others.
Four (4) year college degree required. Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field. Minimum 10+ years of related experience and training.
Position type: Full-time
To apply: Submit your cover letter, resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Association:
Autos Drive America is a Washington, D.C. based trade association representing the U.S. operations of international motor vehicle manufacturers. Our members currently build nearly half of all vehicles made in the U.S. With investments valued at over $92 billion that support 2.1 million American jobs, these companies bring significant benefits to communities across the country. Autos Drive America’s mission is to educate policymakers and other stakeholders about the value of global trade and investment to American jobs and the economy, as well as to main street America. Consistent with this mission, we work to promote policies that expand trade, reduce trade barriers, and ensure a level playing field for all U.S. auto manufacturers.
Autos Drive America offers competitive benefits – 401(k), health, dental and vision, paid time off, holiday leave, professional development opportunities, performance incentives and more.
Autos Drive America is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Autos Drive America does not discriminate in hiring or any other personnel action on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, physical and/or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, credit history, political affiliation, matriculation, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable laws.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, and/or remove duties, and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Job posted: 2022-05-03