Vice President, Communications and Public Affairs
San Francisco, CA
At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the immune system to cure neurodegeneration. Our team is solely focused on developing cures for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and board members, leading healthcare investors and some of the most innovative pharma companies.
Would you like to lead and be responsible for developing and Implementing Alector’s communications strategy that is aligned with our key initiatives that amplify the Alector story in support of our mission, vision, and strategic priorities? Would you like to serve as a strategic partner to the executive team to advance Alector’s brand by implementing a comprehensive branding strategy program?
As the VP of Corporate Communications, you will serve as a chief adviser and counselor to the executive team regarding all corporate communications strategies and tactics. You will also have the exciting opportunity to coordinate the development, protection, and promotion of Alector’s corporate brand experience and identity. You will also work cross-functionally with leaders throughout the company to establish and ensure many initiatives that include public affairs and patient advocacy.
You will be a problem solver, a leader, and a hands-on professional who can simultaneously lead and empower a team while engaging directly in high-priority activities!
During your first year, your goals will include:
- Establishing a collaborative and strategic partnerships with the teams across Alector to develop and lead a multi-year corporate communications and global brand strategy that communicates our identity and strengthens the reputation of Alector across all stakeholders. More specifically:
Corporate Communications and Public Affairs
- Developing and executing a corporate communications strategy that integrates input from early research through commercial and working with the leadership team to craft company and product-related messages for use in all external facing messaging.
- Leading communications plans for scientific conferences, scientific presentations, research publications, and pipeline/product updates to ensure consistency of messaging across all platforms.
- Building a key opinion leader and influencer network by cultivating relationships and elevating Alector’s story through rich and relevant commentary on strategically important key issues and topics.
- Serving as a strategic partner to the CEO and executive team to advance Alector’s brand and market position by implementing an executive media strategy and speaking program.
- Creating and executing the social media strategy and digital plan, including the website, and other creative avenues.
- Develop a strong understanding of how politics, policy trends and the legislative/regulatory process could impact Alector’s strategic goals and develop a plan to execute on opportunities and mitigate risks.
- Working closely with medical affairs and program project teams to execute on disease awareness and patient advocacy campaigns.
- Implementing a science-driven approach to define success and then measure and monitor internal and external communications effectiveness and results across the organization.
- Developing and implementing a Crisis communications practice and playbook as part of our current business continuity plan and efforts.
Corporate Branding & Positioning
- Developing, implementing and managing Alector’s corporate brand strategy and Corporate Positioning Plan. Influencing teams to align campaigns and communications programs with this plan.
- Acting as a strategic counselor to business partners across the company and working collaboratively with various teams to accomplish long-term and short-term goals including clear communication using our brand standards for marketing, pre-launch, launch, recruiting, employee engagement and other activities.
We’d love to hear from you, if you have:
- Strategic, creative, innovative solutions to tackle the next stage of evolution for Alector – willing to be bold, and explore new ways and approaches to achieve our goals.
- Proven expertise across various communications channels, including social media and digital efforts; knowledge of advocacy campaigns is a plus.
- 15+ years of related communications experience with 10 years in biotechnology and/or pharmaceuticals industry; preferably with rare disease or neurology or oncology experience. Bachelor’s Degree required. Graduate Degree strongly recommended.
- Product/brand communications experience, and any pre-launch and launch experienced will be highly valuable.
- Excellent knowledge of FDA & EMA regulations, pricin, reimbursement and public policy.
- Highly skilled in managing complex issues, multiple external and internal priorities in a complex and global matrix
- Exceptional business partnering and stakeholder management abilities, at ease leading, advising and delivering in executive-level capacity
At Alector, we believe that high-performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Alector is a great place to learn and experiment. If you excel in a dynamic environment where everyone is committed to finding a cure, where you’ll drive growth, this is the role for you. There is no limit to how far you can go with us.
While we’ve focused on what to look forward to during the first year and beyond, Day One is great, too: committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, state-of-the-art brand-new brightly-lit offices in the heart of the biotech area, competitive compensation and benefits. But these matter only if you’re excited to build and own something great, and take on these challenges with us. Come join us.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-25