Vice President, Communications & Public Affairs
Global Strategy Group
New York, NY
While our main office locations are in New York and Washington, DC, candidates in other locations are also encouraged to apply.
Global Strategy Group (GSG) works at the intersection of business, politics, and causes. Our team comprises a great group of professionals from various backgrounds in strategic communications, research, and public affairs. Our culture and values play an integral role in how we operate, and we work hard to bring passion, energy, and drive to everything we do.
We are looking to hire a motivated, organized and goal-oriented individual to join our growing Communications & Public Affairs practice. Vice President is a senior-level client service position where one serves as the client lead on assigned accounts. Vice Presidents are strategic communications experts with demonstrated depth of knowledge and expertise across a variety of industries, often with subject matter expertise in specific sectors. They are active contributors to new business and highly skilled in agency processes. Our ideal candidate will be able to engage the multicultural communities reached by our communications and public affairs campaigns.
- Lead strategic communications planning initiatives that incorporate traditional and digital communications channels and platforms, as well as grassroots/grass tops components.
- Serve as the client relationship manager for multiple accounts, leading each engagement and overseeing the activities and work product of junior team members.
- Provide thoughtful ongoing strategic counsel and media relations advice to senior executives at client organizations and within GSG.
- Comfortable managing multifaceted projects that have numerous components, frequent deadlines, and high stakes.
- Accountable for overall quality control of all projects and deliverables to GSG standards, with minimal input or revisions from SVP/EVP.
- Create and manage budgets; monitor utilization of team members to ensure effective and efficient application of firm resources.
- Work with senior practitioners across the firm on business planning and leading new business development, including the creation of pitch presentations and RFP responses, as well as lead generation and networking.
- Oversee the professional development and mentorship of direct reports, junior staff, and project teams, working with SVP+ on team structure and assignments in line with staff’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Represent the practice and firm at relevant conferences and events, network with industry leaders, clients and prospective clients, and seek appropriate thought leadership and speaking opportunities in industry panels to contribute to marketing the firm.
- Play an active role in recruiting talent for the team.
- Serve in a leadership role in firm-wide projects/initiatives as appropriate.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years of experience in media relations and strategic communications in corporate, government, advocacy, journalism, or agency environments.
- Experience managing engagements with a diverse range of clients in the private and public sectors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong organization, prioritization, and project management skills.
- Experience managing crisis situations and leading crisis communications efforts.
- Direct experience managing and mentoring staff.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments while maintaining high quality work product and careful attention to detail.
- Experience managing strategic communications engagements with and on behalf of high-profile individuals and organizations.
- Deep experience and understanding of the digital content landscape is a plus.
- Proven media relations practitioner with strong reporter relationships in the national/New York/DC media landscapes is a plus.
- Bilingual or multi-lingual abilities are a plus.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please send your information our way!
When submitting your resume, please include a cover letter which highlights your relevant experience, along with why you want to be a part of the team at GSG. We are interested in candidates who align with our mission and want to contribute to our continued growth.
Candidates who match the needs for the position will be contacted via email.
Global Strategy Group, LLC
Honored to be named Public Affairs Agency of the Year by The Holmes Report, we are distinguished by our depth of talent, influential clients, and winning track record. Battle-tested in the trenches of corporate reputation management and political campaigns, we bring unrivaled commitment to every assignment.
Our culture of independence, integrity, and responsiveness established by our co-founders two decades ago drives our team of nearly 100 smart, strategic, and creative professionals today.
Our clients—which include Fortune 100 companies, national political leaders, associations and nonprofits—rely on us for candid guidance and fast, effective execution. We provide a combination of critical thinking and on-the-ground results that many other firms talk about, but few deliver.
Global Strategy Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At GSG, we are distinguished by our depth of talent. Our people are team players, straight shooters and problem solvers. We bring passion, energy and drive to everything we do. This all comes from our closely-held firm values, which have guided us since the day GSG opened its doors. We are committed to ensuring that our workplace provides a diverse, inclusive, and culturally rich atmosphere and are always looking for talented individuals to add to our culture.
We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to: race, religion or creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, uniform service member status, or any other protected class under federal, state or local statute.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-21