Vice President, Congressional Relations (Senate Republicans)
American Bankers Association
Want to work for a great Organization? The American Bankers Association is the banking industry’s champion. Joining ABA makes you part of a team that: • has Extraordinary People – ABA experts are the “go to” sources for bankers, policy makers and the media for credible information and insights for the banking industry. • has Unmatched Scope and Scale – ABA’s unparalleled information and services keep members current, knowledgeable and prepared. • is Impact-Driven – ABA has a proven record of bringing about positive change for our members and the industry. We take action and achieve results. Plus competitive pay, an outstanding benefits package, a convenient DC location, a professional collegial work environment and an opportunity to work on issues of national significance equals a winning combination!
ABA is seeking a Vice President of Congressional Relations. The individual in this position serves in a senior capacity in the Congressional Relations Department and works closely with the Executive Vice President of the group and peers on the management of relationships with congressional members and committees of importance to the banking industry. The position is focused on advocating and achieving the most favorable outcomes for the banking industry in the United States Senate.
Advances the legislative agenda of the ABA by developing working relationships with assigned congressional offices, particularly Republican members of the U.S. Senate, the Senate Banking Committee and Senate Leadership.
Establishes fundraising budgets for assigned Senators and party committees and coordinates with ABA’s political engagement team and state bankers associations on the approval and distribution of political action committee funds.
Develops working relationships with bankers, state associations executives, government relations executives and national trade associations to coordinate and advance ABA’s federal legislative agenda.
Drafts legislative memorandum and assists in preparing witnesses for testimony in the U.S. Senate.
Participates on internal associations working groups and helps develop ABA’s legislative agenda.
Hosts and attends congressional fundraising events with members of the U.S. Senate on behalf of ABA’s political action committee.
- 4-year degree
- A minimum of six (6) year’s Congressional experience with a focus on the banking industry
- Experience in working in a congressional office in a legislative capacity and/or a financial trade association or financial services related industry
- Thorough understanding of the Senate and Congressional legislative process and procedures
- Strong knowledge of banking legislative issues and the financial services industry
- Ability to advocate effectively on ABA legislative priorities
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex banking concepts in brief, pointed conversations with Republican Members of the U.S. Senate and staff
- Strong decision-making skills with a solid foundation of analytical and strategic thinking
- Excellent verbal communication skills in presenting and influencing others and in listening to others
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to engage in constructive dialogue with those who do not agree with ABA positions
- Knowledge of fundraising rules and practices
Job posted: 2019-08-09