Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Director Public Information
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, is seeking a dynamic and strategic Vice President, Director Public Information to oversee the daily management of amfAR’s public information efforts.
amfAR is dedicated to ending the global AIDS epidemic through innovative research. With the freedom and flexibility to respond quickly to emerging areas of scientific promise, amfAR plays a catalytic role in accelerating the pace of HIV/AIDS research and achieving real breakthroughs. amfAR funded research has increased our understanding of HIV and has helped lay the groundwork for major advances in the study and treatment of HIV/AIDS. Since 1985, amfAR has invested close to $600 million in its programs and has awarded grants to more than 3,500 research teams worldwide.
The Vice President of Public Information will conceptualize and implement a strategic communications plan and lead communications efforts to raise the global profile of amfAR and support program and resource development goals. To achieve these goals, the vice president will build domestic and international media relationships and nurture existing contacts in order to shape global coverage of the organization. The vice president will also oversee the development of amfAR’s publications, online communications, and messaging delivered by amfAR spokespeople, ensuring the consistency and strength of amfAR’s public messages across all communications platforms.
The vice president of Public Information is responsible for the management and development of amfAR’s communications team. The position reports directly to the CEO and participates as a member of the management group. S/he collaborates closely with all members of the senior executive team, Board members, high-profile celebrity spokespeople, other key stakeholders, and amfAR’s communications consultants.
The vice president of Public Information is the liaison to the foundations Communications/Social Media/Marketing Committee.
· Leads efforts to assert the organization’s brand identity and elevate its position in the HIV/AIDS, research, and philanthropic environments; ensure the consistency and strength of amfAR’s public messages and mission across all communications platforms.
· Build domestic and international media relationships as well as nurture existing contacts in order to shape global coverage of amfAR. In addition to media, cultivate relationships with key audiences such as advocates and champions, the scientific and academic communities, major multilateral organizations, government officials and policymakers, donors, celebrities and corporations.
· Oversee development of all Foundation print and electronic communications and marketing materials, maintaining top-notch editorial and graphic design quality, including oversight of Foundation’s internet presence through the website and existing and emerging social media platforms such as FaceBook, Twitter and Instagram and Snapchat.
· Effectively promote amfAR’s programs, leadership, and celebrity spokespeople, and prepare the organization’s leadership, spokespeople, and others to interact with the international media.
· Anticipate emerging communication issues, develop appropriate response strategies, advise amfAR’s leadership on these issues, and lead response efforts.
· Prepare detailed progress reports for the chief executive officer and board of trustees.
· Oversee the activities and organization of the Public Information department, including goal setting, department organization, budgeting, planning, and staff development.
· Manage amfAR’s communications consultants, including soliciting competitive bids, developing relationships, managing budgets, and evaluating effectiveness.
The Vice President of Public Information will be a creative strategist who can contribute to overall planning and goal setting for the Foundation. BA/BS or equivalent and a minimum of eight years of experience in developing and managing a broad range of marketing and communication activities across different platforms (including social media, public relations, marketing, media, print, digital and interactive communications and user experience) and understanding how they can be combined and leveraged for marketing and communications strategies
The candidate must be a high-level communications professional with exceptional written and verbal communications skills. The candidate must also be capable of responding clearly and decisively to media inquiries, and must show strong attention to detail. The successful candidate will bring a high level of energy and passion to the job, aggressively seeking out opportunities for amfAR to increase its global profile. Excellent time management and interpersonal skills are essential, as are diplomacy and an ability to resolve conflicts constructively.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess: a demonstrated ability to develop relationships with top-tier reporters and editors and successfully position complex issues to achieve valuable media placements; a strong knowledge of the HIV/AIDS epidemic and related public health and public policy issues; a proven ability to effectively manage a successful communications team; a proven track record in developing and leading a media relations and strategic communications program with a mix of agency, corporate, and non-profit experience; the ability to travel and work extended hours as needed; and an advanced degree in public policy, business, journalism, or a related field.
Interested applicants should forward their resume, cover letter and salary requirement to: email@example.com
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are currently on a temporary hybrid work schedule. Prior COVID vaccination plus one booster is required to work at amfAR.
No agencies please.
Job posted: 2022-09-18