Vice President, External Affairs and Advancement
The Stimson Center is a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank which for three decades has been a leading voice on urgent global issues. Founded in the twilight years of the Cold War, the Center pioneered practical new steps toward stability and security in an uncertain world. Today, as changes in power and technology usher in a challenging new era, Stimson is at the forefront: engaging new voices, generating innovative ideas and analysis, and building solutions to promote international security, prosperity, and justice. Over the last 5 years, Stimson has grown 50% percent in revenue, added 11 new programs, tripled the size of its staff, and opened its first overseas office. The Center has not only grown in size but in stature, ranking in the top 10 think tanks in the United States as rated by an annual University of Pennsylvania study.
We seek a Vice President for External Affairs and Advancement to join the Leadership Team, report to the President and CEO and participate in overall organizational strategy, management, and internal policy and process formulation. The Vice President will provide leadership and vision for Stimson’s growing development and communications teams to ensure continued, sustainable growth of the organization.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a track record of cultivating new donor relationships and a broader funding portfolio in support of institutional growth. They must be able to translate strategic plans into specific short- and long-term objectives and define metrics and accountabilities. The successful candidate will also build strong relationships with staff and the Board of Directors and lead across functional teams.
- Develop and implement innovative strategies that expand and diversify Stimson’s funding base beyond traditional foundation and government funding to include corporate donors, individuals, and new philanthropy;
- Build, cultivate, solicit, and steward a new portfolio of individual, corporate, and foundation donors;
- Provide oversight and guidance to the Director of Development on management of existing development systems and institutional relationships;
- Develop opportunities to build awareness and visibility of Stimson’s mission and impact with existing and prospective stakeholders;
- Provide oversight and guidance to the Director of Strategic Communications in developing and implementing institutional communications and marketing strategies;
- Ensure the ongoing development and distribution of Stimson’s case for support is incorporated into development and strategic communications efforts; and
- Fundraise and promote consistency of messaging across the organization in close collaboration with Leadership and programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advance degree preferred.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 15+ years of senior-level experience in nonprofit development and communications;
- Strong track record of successful fundraising, including success cultivating, soliciting, and securing major gifts;
- Demonstrated ability to expand an organization’s donor base;
- Documented achievements in strategic communications and media relations;
- Demonstrated success in developing and maintaining relationships with donors, the staff at all levels, external partners, and a Board of Directors;
- Proven ability to manage departmental budgets;
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time; and
- Successful track record of supervision, team building, and staff development.
- Experience and interest in international security policy;
- Experience in nonprofit management.
Skills & Attributes:
- Highly organized, detail-oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and a collegial style;
- Innovative and creative thinker capable of designing and implementing an overarching, highly collaborative, successful fundraising and communications strategies;
- Established network of individuals and companies that can be leveraged to expand Stimson’s existing audience and donor base;
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills. Dynamic public speaker possessing the ability to gain the confidence of people from a variety of sectors and settings; and
- Desire to work in a highly collaborative environment with a focus on producing work of excellence and influence.
- Experience working in diverse organizations and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements.
Stimson is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
Job posted: 2021-03-16