Vice President, External Affairs and Marketing
The Bipartisan Policy Center is a nonprofit organization that focuses on policy solutions to strengthen our democracy, promote economic growth and opportunities, and create better health outcomes for all Americans. As the only Washington, DC-based think tank that actively promotes bipartisanship, BPC works to address the key challenges facing the nation. BPC’s policy solutions are the product of expert analysis and informed deliberations by former elected and appointed officials, business and labor leaders, and advocates who represent multiple perspectives on key policy issues.
Our staff brings a diversity of experience and passion for our mission. We seek a VP, External Affairs who will bring a passion for bipartisanship and belief in viable consensus driven solutions.
The VP EA is a key leadership position on the BPC Executive team. The VP EA will design and oversee initiatives that build and execute brand, strengthen marketing and communications, foster strategic partnerships, and expand relationships with policy makers, industry leaders, and other influencers and stakeholders. The position is critical to the fulfillment of BPC’s mission of combining the best ideas from both parties to promote health, security, and opportunity for all Americans.
The VP EA is the brand champion at all levels of the organization working closely with BPC’s CEO, Board of Directors and the leaders of BPC’s Communications, Policy and Development Teams. They also will cultivate productive external relationships across key stakeholder groups and represent the organization in a variety of public roles and forums.
- Create, implement, oversee and measure the success of a comprehensive, culturally competent marketing and branding program that will enhance BPC’s position as the catalyst for bipartisanship, including thought leaders, media, and policy makers in government and regulatory bodies (national, state and local) and national organizations.
- Further define, build, protect, measure and promote BPC’s mission and brand.
- Set current and long-term goals for internal teams.
- Lead the strategic development of marketing and branding plans and ideas to increase and leverage mission awareness and impact and help drive revenue growth.
- Oversee design, production and effective multi-channel distribution of BPC’s messaging, digital media and advertising.
- Manage the Events, Digital Media and Marketing functions.
- Oversee BPC-wide initiatives such as the Dole Leadership Series, Patriot Awards and Development events.
- Establish an “events strategy” to actively engage key stakeholders and elevate BPC’s policy recommendations, research and national thought leadership role. This includes designing an overall events strategy for BPC-hosted convenings, as well as participation in key forums and gatherings around shared goals that position BPC research, policy recommendations, experts, resources and programs.
- Design proactive media, marketing and thought leadership strategies to stimulate media interest, build brand awareness and convey BPC’s message.
- Serve as a spokesperson to key external audiences.
- Create and manage a solid network of strategic partnerships and alliances in support of BPC’s key priorities.
- Devise and manage a robust digital and social media strategy. Measure ongoing consumer and stakeholder engagement with BPC’s brand, research, thought leadership and advocacy efforts.
- Translate ideas and policy recommendations into actionable programs and initiatives with specific and measurable outcomes.
- Use data, analytics and insights to determine program and initiative success. Understand and track the effectiveness of key marketing and brand initiatives, research, programs/events, and overall enhancement of stakeholder experience.
- Design and execute metric-based short- and long-term plans and budgets to achieve departmental goals, support the success of BPC’s overall strategic and financial objectives, and establish key performance metrics connecting all areas.
The position requires an innovative, creative and energetic leader who has a passion for BPC’s mission. The VP EA will have experience building and running effective marketing programs and building brands. S/he will have a measurable track record that exhibits the ability to define and build strategic partnerships/relationships, influence ideas, and manage relationships with external stakeholders in complex environments. S/he will be skilled at affecting change and building strong, sustainable and actionable relationships that deliver results with key external partners, including thought leaders, policy makers, academic circles and associations, as well as across federal, state, local and government and regulatory bodies.
The VP EA will have a strong ability to coordinate across departments and understand the implications of decisions on areas throughout the organization. The right person will be a builder with the ability to set priorities decisively, delegate responsibilities, assure accountability and allocate resources to ensure results.
The successful candidate will exhibit intellectual curiosity, including the ability to listen to and learn from multiple voices. S/he will have a motivating approach to building strong working relationships and collaboration from stakeholders and internal teams and be able to establish rapport and open communication with all constituents. An engaging and supportive expert, the VP EA will offer credibility both internally and externally.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline—advanced degree a plus.
- Prior experience working with or in the nonprofit or governmental sectors.
- At least 15 years of a combination of marketing, communication, external affairs (government, alliances, partnerships etc.,) brand management, digital and corporate communications experience, including significant senior management experience.
- Mission-driven and self-directed individual with experience building, developing and managing agile and results oriented teams.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills. Dynamic public speaker possessing the ability to communicate with and gain the confidence of people from a variety of sectors and settings.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively across the organization with a high performing management team of senior professionals.
- Strong analytical skills and experience with data analysis and the use of metrics to drive decisions and achieve strategic objectives.
- Strong organizational and process management skills.
- Capability to execute vision and strategy across the organization to influence key stakeholders (including senior leaders) on the design and implementation of partnerships and marketing strategies.
- Proficient in leading, attracting, hiring, retaining and developing high-performing teams and individuals.
- A relationship builder who is trusted, creative, collaborative, persuasive, dependable and possesses high ethical standards.
BPC offers a highly competitive salary and provides generous benefits. Individuals interested in this position should send resume, cover letter, and three references as soon as possible. Please submit materials as one file. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. BPC does not sponsor employment visas.
BPC is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-23