Vice President, Federal Affairs
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Public Affairs and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Vice President (VP) of Federal Affairs will be responsible for the development of Auto Innovators’ federal affairs strategy and will contribute to organizational strategic planning process. The VP of Federal Affairs will develop a world-class strategic advocacy plan, directly managing policy activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s mission. The VP of Federal Affairs will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of policy activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. The VP of Federal Affairs will be a Senior Spokesperson for the organization and will need to build relationships with the members of Congress and Administration Officials and their staff. The goal is to advance the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and member support for the organization. The VP of Federal Affairs will be responsible for the development and execution of successful engagements with Congress and The Administration to support those objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic advocacy plan to advance Auto Innovators’ mission; broaden awareness of its priorities; and increase the visibility of its key issues across membership baseline.
- Create policy strategy that will allow Auto Innovators’ leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the members of Congress and Administration officials.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external advocacy opportunities and solutions; define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as advocacy counselor to the leadership.
- Oversee development of all legislative initiatives affecting Auto Innovators’ and its members. Prepare and present Congressional statements in response to legislative plans.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on advocacy interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize advocacy opportunities, and plan, organize and supervise federal affairs activities on the legislative front.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage Capitol Hill relationships to ensure coordinated industry effort on legislative and regulatory issues.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the federal affairs function including budgeting and planning.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Recruit and manage a federal affairs team to support the development and execution of the advocacy strategy.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Journalism, Law, or related field is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of combined a senior management role, Capitol Hill and Executive Branch or related corporate or trade association federal affairs experience.
- Familiarity with House and Senate legislative processes (including Committee and floor procedures) and federal rulemaking.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrate skills and comfort in proactively building relationships with the members of Congress and the Administration.
- Strong Capitol Hill and federal agency contacts, relationships, credentials along with a demonstrated ability to work successfully on a bipartisan basis.
- Demonstrate experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive legislative and regulatory initiatives to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Experience in integrating and leveraging technical, communications, legal and related resources in planning and executing legislative and regulatory efforts.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of high-performing Board of Directors.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver and results oriented.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Excellent and persuasive communicator.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Board Members and staff.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
- Passion for Auto Innovators’ mission.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At Alliance for Automotive Innovation, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on a position.
Job posted: 2020-08-19