Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Federal Affairs – Tax Policy
The American Hotel and Lodging Association is seeking a Vice President for Federal Affairs to focus on tax policy and other issue areas. In addition to a demonstrable track record in tax policy, the ideal candidate with have a strong background in U.S. Senate process and procedure, and enduring relationships with Senate offices. In this role, they will be part of a dynamic team advocating for the hotel and lodging industry’s interests, implementing key strategies, strengthening critical relationships with Members of Congress, executive agencies, staff, member companies, coalition groups, and other key stakeholders.Responsibilities:
- Independently manage a portfolio of issues, including tax policy and other matters, and maintain relationships with Hill offices on behalf of the Association and the lodging industry.
- Working in close coordination with the broader Government Affairs team, represent the American lodging industry and its core advocacy agenda before Congress, the Administration, federal/state agencies, and their respective staffs.
- Monitor, anticipate, and understand federal legislative and regulatory policy activities to develop recommendations and prepare communications for the EVP of Gov’t Affairs, CEO, and other senior management staff to strategically shape industry positions, advocacy, and response.
- Maintain close relationships with coalition partners, member companies, and key stakeholders.
- Develop and execute strategy that helps drive policy making that benefits our members, their employees, and their customers.
- Draft communications for internal and external audiences, and collaborate closely with AHLA’s public relations and communications team on strategic messaging, news releases and public statements pertaining to legislative issues.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and advanced education or relevant work experience in tax and financial policy.
- Ability to analyze how legislative language and regulatory proposals could impact the industry.
- Demonstrated success in lobbying the Federal Government.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time constraints.
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Expertise in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Position based in Washington, DC area.
- Limited travel may be required.
- Hybrid position. Generally, three days in the office (Tue-Thurs.), unless otherwise necessary.
- Salary: $160,000-$180,000
AHLA is an equal-opportunity employer. We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Work From Home
- Free Food & Snacks
Job posted: 2023-08-25