Vice President, Federal Affairs
Under the supervision of the Senior Vice President, the Vice President of Federal Affairs lobbies and supervises federal government relations activities, with emphasis on legislative activities in support of AHIP’s advocacy efforts. This position supervises and participates in AHIP’s tracking, analyzing and lobbying of Congressional activities and related issues.
- Represents AHIP as a principal Congressional lobbyist. Maintains extensive contacts and develops strong relationships with members of Congress, Congressional staff, and other key organizations to develop support for industry positions. Attends or sends representatives to congressional hearings, mark-ups, meetings and events.
- Monitors and analyzes proposed legislation to determine its effects on the industry; determines the most appropriate position in coalition with AHIP’s senior staff and member companies; and develops and implements strategies to achieve favorable results.
- Works closely with Senior Executives and other senior staff at AHIP to develop a strategic vision for AHIP federal legislative activities and assists in development and achievement of AHIP’s goals.
- Participates in the preparation of testimony, position statements, and talking points, as well as written reports, memos and bulletins that are sent to AHIP members.
- Provides support to AHIP’s Board of Directors and the Foundation(s), as necessary.
- Assists in processing members’ questions on technical legislative issues, as well as requests for related materials.
- Works in conjunction with the Senior Vice President and PAC Director to increase participation in the AHIP PAC.
- Performs other tasks as required or assigned.
- Requires the efficient delegation of responsibilities given the multiplicity of issues requiring the incumbent’s attention
- Knowledge of the structure and functioning of the federal government, with emphasis on the legislative branch in terms of its impact on health policy
- Knowledge of current policy issues affecting the health insurance industry; and understanding of member companies’ business models and corporate goals.
- Knowledge of PAC organization and rules.
- Possesses strong leadership, management, advocacy, and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with policymakers and staff.
- Developed knowledge and understanding of managed care functions and operations.
- 5-10 years of experience in the legislative and regulatory environment, ideally with a focus on healthcare issues.
- Experience working with Congress, regulatory agencies, and/or state legislatures at various levels with sensitivity to political considerations.
- Experience working with health plan executive and government affairs staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science or related field.
Physical Work Activities & Conditions:
- Light physical activities and efforts required working in an office environment.
Percent of Travel: Up to 20% of the time.
The purpose of a job description is to describe the overall function and general responsibilities of a job. Job descriptions are used in hiring and training and to provide employees with a better understanding of employer expectations. Actual job functions and duties will vary as job responsibilities and business needs require.
Equal Opportunity Employer
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran.
Interested candidates are requested to visit AHIP’s Career Website: https://www.ahip.org/about-us/careers-at-ahip/ for further instructions on resume submission.
How to Apply
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
AHIP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran.
AHIP does not sponsor applications for work visas.
In order to request consideration for an opened position at AHIP, all candidates must complete an AHIP Job Application and submit it, along with a current resume and cover letter that includes your requested salary range.
Job posted: 2018-12-26