Vice President, Global Government Relations
The Vice President of Global Government Relations will have primary oversight and management responsibility for Kimberly-Clark’s (K-C) Washington, DC office, responsible for protecting and growing the company’s businesses through the influencing of legislation, regulation and public policies.
As K-C’s top lobbyist and head of the Company’s Washington, D.C. office, s/he will drive the company’s business interests on the public policy front by translating the company’s operational objectives into effective US federal advocacy strategies that secure favorable market conditions for K-C’s portfolio of products. Additionally, the VP, Government Relations will oversee K-C’s corporate interests with trade associations such as the US Chamber of Commerce and Consumer Healthcare Products Association.
Specifically, s/he will be accountable for:
- Corporate Goals – Responsible for the successful execution of Government Relations goals for pipeline readiness, business and function initiatives and annual corporate goals.
- Cross Functional Alignment – Responsible for ensuring that Government Relations objectives are aligned with K-C’s business priorities and operational objectives; and for driving Government and External Affairs collaboration and alignment with other K-C functions, including Legal and Research and Development.
- Strategic Direction – Responsible for setting strategic direction and developing policies to affect the outcome of all issues with policymakers.
- Issue Management and Execution – Possessing a clear understanding of K-C’s businesses and objectives. Responsible for identifying and managing legislative and policy challenges that may affect K-C’s business. Also responsible for providing impact assessments of emerging political issues; existing or emerging regulatory policy, rules and guidelines; and for monitoring government analysis and tracking of legislation.
- Public Policy Advocacy – Responsible for directing government relations strategy, lobbying, and advocacy on issues of importance to K-C and for building and maintaining strong relationships of trust and confidence with key Regulators and Members of Congress and their staff.
- Political Involvement – Oversee K-C’s political involvement and maintain compliance with all federal lobbying and ethics laws.
- Communication – Responsible for updating K-C’s CEO and Executive Leadership Team and other senior executives on pending public policy issues, legislation, trends and political events that impact K-C’s business operations and for preparing briefing materials, and recommended positions, for trade and other meetings (e.g., Capitol Hill, Administration, or industry trade association meetings).
- Budget – Responsible for managing department budget and outside consultants.
Strategic Thinking & Execution
The VP, Government Relations will add impact and value as K-C’s key strategist on US and global government relations issues by:
- Demonstrating a proactive mindset and maintaining the ability to “see the big picture,” while focusing on accomplishing immediate goals and objectives. S/he will serve as a problem-solver; working to achieve objectives while overcoming obstacles and/or planning for contingencies, and communicating these changes to relevant K-C executives and other internal stakeholders, accordingly.
- Keeping a “pulse” on potential legislative and US/global regulatory issues that could affect or disrupt K-C’s business objectives; this includes anticipating and positioning K-C to respond to evolving public policy challenges and capitalizing on potential opportunities. To this end, s/he will demonstrate flexibility, adapting strategy as necessary to optimize K-C’s position on various issues.
- Navigating complex international policy issues and demonstrating a keen understanding of the objectives and goals of K-C’s global businesses, and using that knowledge and insight to drive the government relations strategy and organization in providing high quality support to the company’s business leaders.
- Building and strategically managing K-C’s PAC, optimizing its impact.
Influencing & Relationship-Building
In this global role, s/he will effectively manage a diverse set of stakeholders including Members of Congress and relevant Committee staff, US and global regulators, policy thought leaders, and industry representatives by:
- Internally, serving as a credible “voice” and effective, collaborative, action-oriented executive.
- Externally, identifying and developing strategic stakeholder relationships, creating value-add opportunities to enhance K-C’s influence in Washington, DC and abroad, while protecting the company’s business interests in the public policy arena.
- Demonstrating the ability to work effectively on both sides of the aisle, as well as across international borders. S/he will be persuasive, but also a good listener, taking into account various cultures and practices, adapting government relations strategy, as necessary, to fit the needs of the local markets and helping enhance K-C’s image in the US, as well as globally.
S/he will effectively lead, develop and retain a lean and high-performing team in a global and matrixed organization. As a leader, manager and team-builder, s/he will:
- Be a self-starter and collaborative leader with a “roll up your sleeves” management style.
- Demonstrate superb judgment, strong results-orientation and a sense of urgency.
- Effectively use metrics in setting government relations goals, priorities and objectives.
- Serve as a proactive and transparent communicator, ensuring that government relations strategy is in alignment with K-C’s various business activities.
- 10-15+ years of relevant government relations experience at a global Fortune 500 company, trade association or a combination of the two. Prior senior USG experience (Legislative and/or Executive Branch) preferred.
- Credibility with key government officials in Washington, DC; and a high level of comfort and access across the Legislative and Executive Branches, including with key players and decision-makers related to the industry.
- A hands-on leader with a demonstrated track record of managing, developing and retaining a high performing team.
- Undergraduate degree, advanced degree, preferred
Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 175 countries. Every day, 1.3 billion people – nearly a quarter of the world’s population – trust K-C brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene, and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies, Pull-Ups, Kotex, and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds No.1 or No. 2 share positions in more than 80 countries. With more than 140 years of history of innovation, we believe in recruiting the best people and empowering them do their best work. If fresh thinking and a passion to win inspire you, come Unleash Your Power at Kimberly-Clark.
Kimberly-Clark is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, pregnancy, genetic information, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. Statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position.
This position may require a post-offer/pre-hire Physical Abilities Test (PAT) to confirm that individuals are able to perform the essential functions of the job.
K-C requires that an employee have authorization to work in the country in which the role is based. In the event an applicant does not have current work authorization, K-C will determine, in its sole discretion, whether to sponsor an individual for work authorization. However, based on immigration requirements, not all roles are suitable for sponsorship. This position is subject to drug and alcohol testing, including pre-employment testing.
Global VISA and Relocation Specifications:
K-C will support in-country relocation for the chosen candidate for the role, including assistance to obtain proper work authorization. The benefits provided will be per the terms of K-C’s applicable mobility policies. The benefits/policy provided will decided in K-C’s sole discretion.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-12-26