Vice President, Government Affairs
About the position
Prudential seeks a seasoned government affairs leader to be Vice President, Policy Development responsible for managing a portfolio of U.S. public policy issues and devising and implementing strategies to advance the Company’s public and regulatory policy interests.
The candidate will work proactively to identify, analyze and define the Company’s public policy interests and positions, lead the development of strategies to advance the Company’s policy agenda, establish and cultivate a broad range of external relationships, work in close partnership with senior business and corporate leaders as well as represent the Company’s interests with policymakers, their staff and other policy influencers.
The position will be part of the External Affairs Policy Development team, which is responsible for identifying and analyzing public policy, legislative and regulatory measures as well as developing and implementing policy recommendations and strategies that support the Company’s interests. The candidate will work closely with all functions of External Affairs state, federal and international.
The position is located in the Newark, NJ office of External Affairs and reports to the Vice President and Head of Policy Development.
· Manage a portfolio of state, federal and public policy matters
· Engage U.S. business and corporate leaders on assigned policy matters to advise and recommend policy positions and actions
· Understand and evaluate potential business impact of policy proposals by coordinating and gathering insights from law, compliance, communications, risk and other corporate partners.
· Devise and implement advocacy strategies
· Execute against strategic goals and policy priorities for and across the U.S. businesses and corporate groups
· Draft policy position papers, comment letters, executive briefings, talking points and presentations
· Cultivate and maintain a broad range of relationships with public policymakers and their staff, industry and trade groups and other thought leaders and policy decision influencers
· Travel to attend meetings, conferences or other events to represent the company
· Bachelor’s or master’s degree in law, political science, public policy or related field.
· In-depth knowledge of and experience with U.S. legislative and regulatory policy making.
· Experience interfacing with public officials and corporate executives on matters involving public policy.
· Knowledge of insurance and financial service policy issues
· Experience and relationships with public policy organizations and national trade groups is not required but preferred
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interface with senior executives and public officials
· Ability to analyze complex legislative and regulatory proposals
· Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in matters of significance and operate with integrity
· Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to give clear, independent and timely advice and information
· Proactive, self-motivated and able to work independently and collaborate as a member of a team
· Creative thinker, problem solver and solutions driven
· Technology mindset
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company’s well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential’s businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about doing business with Prudential.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-24