Vice President, Government Affairs
The Washington Technology Industry Association (WTIA) is a non-profit trade association that combines the power of member companies to solve problems they cannot easily solve alone. We are seeking a Vice President, Government Affairs to help WTIA drive policy outcomes that build a strong technology sector in a thriving community.
About this Position
The Vice President, Government Affairs (“VP”) is a newly designed and challenging position for a seasoned public policy professional. The WTIA serves about 1000 technology companies operating in Washington state. The VP is a combination of subject matter expert on public policy formation, facilitator of the WTIA Policy Steering Committee, lead policy communicator to member companies, and primary liaison for the organization to government officials.
The VP reports to the CEO and oversees all aspects of government affairs activities, including legislative (primarily state, but also local and federal), electoral politics, and regulatory issues. The VP is operationally supported by an internal Manager of Government Affairs, outside contractors for broad government relations, and specific state lobbying efforts.
Among other things, you will:
- Support the WTIA aspiration to establish Washington state as a leading global hub for the technology sector.
- Develop and manage a plan using public policy to build a strong, sustainable technology sector in a thriving community.
- Direct the organization’s public policy engagement Including: Identification of key policy areas; development and execution of process for member engagement; advocacy among state, local and federal governments to support WTIA policy positions.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with other technology organizations, business associations, and non-profits.
- Represent the organization to government officials and partner organizations.
- Assist the CEO, Board Chair and Policy Committee co-chairs to ensure that WTIA is an effective, non-partisan, and respected voice for the technology community among public policy leaders.
- Serve as the policy SME to WTIA Senior Leadership Team to identify public policy opportunities and threats to WTIA programs.
- Actively serve on the Senior Leadership Team, assessing, leading, and reporting on strategic initiatives and issues.
- Design and organize communications to support industry engagement on public policy issues.
Here’s what we seek in an ideal candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher plus at least ten years’ experience in public policy development and advocacy within government, think tanks, public interest groups, technology industry groups, or corporations.
- Substantial knowledge and experience with technology related policy.
- Thorough understanding of the technology sector.
- Demonstrated productive working relationships with elected officials.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating conflict resolution.
- Track record of: Successfully executing projects with multidisciplinary teams; acting upon tactical opportunities in a fast-paced environment; delivering diplomatic yet firm communications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and prioritization skills.
This position historically required travel to the state capital, city halls, partner offices, member companies, and government agencies. During Washington state Phase 1 to 3 of COVID, the vast majority of meetings are remote online or by phone.
During Phase 4 and thereafter, it is expected that up to 50% time outside the office during peak periods will be required to meet with member companies, partners, government officials predominantly in the Puget Sound region. Occasional national or international travel may be required.
Join our team:
WTIA staff members enjoy a collaborative, flexible work experience where respect and inclusion are paramount, benefits are generous, professional development is part of our DNA, and hard work is balanced with plenty of fun. We love what we do and we invest not only in our own success, but that of others.
Equal employment opportunity is a fundamental principle at the WTIA. We are committed to a work environment in which relationships are characterized by dignity, courtesy and respect. We are committed to nondiscrimination in all business operations.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-02