Vice President, Government Affairs
The SourceAmerica story is an inspirational one. For more than 40 years, SourceAmerica is the country’s leading source of job opportunities for people with significant disabilities. Through our network of nonprofits, we supply products and services that meet the strictest quality standards, at a competitive price, and utilize a dedicated workforce of professionals with disabilities. Learn more about us at: https://www.sourceamerica.org/about
SourceAmerica is looking for a talented Vice President, Government Affairs to join its Vienna, Virginia-based team.
We want to add a team member who has the best opportunity for success with our organization. Here are a few experiences/skills that are ideal for our needs:
- Have you ever worked for a Member of Congress, a Congressional Committee or the Executive Branch?
- If not the above, have you worked for a federal contractor or a national association in a government affairs capacity?
- Do you have an understanding of the federal legislative process?
If you’ve had similar experiences or have those skill sets, please read the following summary of the requirements of this position. Please keep in mind this is a summary and an official job description will be provided to candidates at the time of their interview.
The Vice President of Government Affairs reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer of SourceAmerica, is a member of the Senior Leadership team, and has a direct line to SourceAmerica’s Board of Directors. This position coordinates with the Board of Directors to set and manage SourceAmerica’s government policy and advocacy programs with responsibility for developing and implementing: SourceAmerica’s policy agenda by directing its policies and objectives in accordance with the mission and goals of SourceAmerica; and SourceAmerica’s advocacy programs and initiatives across Congress and the Administration, including relevant agencies within the U.S. government. In carrying out the above responsibilities, this person will lead teams to work in coordination with state and local Non Profit Agencies (NPAs) and other relevant industries and organizations to achieve government affairs goals in alignment with the overall mission of SourceAmerica.
Here are some of the functions of this job; a full job description will be given to candidates in the interview process.
- Oversee development and attainment of SourceAmerica’s annual and long-term government relations and policy goals and ensure that all parts of the government affairs organization are aligned toward achieving these goals. Oversee all aspects of SourceAmerica’s advocacy programs before Congress, the Administration and relevant regulatory agencies, and in conjunction with grass tops and grassroots programs developed to enhance SourceAmerica’s influence. Leadership and oversight responsibilities include:
- Coordinating with the Board of Directors the development of a comprehensive government relations strategic plan. This position then leads the process to implement and achieve the plan.
- Overseeing the development and execution of goals, positions and strategies on legislative, policy, regulatory and political issues.
- Develop and implement process for early identification of trends, rules and/or regulations that affect the employment of people with disabilities.
- Hiring, engaging and supervising all internal professional staff and retaining outside consultants to support SourceAmerica’s policy goals and advocacy agenda.
- Overseeing the evaluation of potential and pending legislation and agency regulations or directives that may impact SourceAmerica and leading the advocacy effort for legislation or regulatory action to advance the interests of SourceAmerica and its constituents and, conversely, to discourage legislation or regulatory action that would be detrimental to its interests.
- Representing SourceAmerica in public settings articulately and persuasively, including in one-on-one meetings with legislators and staff, testimony before congressional or regulatory bodies, and at conferences and other events where SourceAmerica’s voice is heard.
- Ensuring that SourceAmerica develops, nurtures, and sustains positive and collaborative relationships with key elected officials, relevant government agencies and the AbilityOne Commission, as well as industry and stakeholder communities such as other disability-related organizations and external stakeholders that can help influence SourceAmerica’s agenda.
- Responding to Congressional and regulatory inquiries/needs and creating opportunities to improve an understanding of SourceAmerica’s mission to increase jobs for persons with disabilities.
- Leading teams to work in coordination with NPAs and other relevant organizations to achieve the government affairs goals in alignment with the overall mission of SourceAmerica.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of programs, events, and initiatives that will enhance the brand and visibility of SourceAmerica’s advocacy programs and elevate its leadership and advocacy roles in advancing the interests of persons with disabilities in the workforce.
- Overseeing the adherence to federal lobbying and ethics rules.
- Collaborating with other members of the Senior Leadership team to enhance a mutual understanding of SourceAmerica’s programs, expertise and reach and to enlist support for SourceAmerica’s government affairs programs, research and activities.
- Coordinating with the Vice President of Workforce Development and Vice President of NPA Network Services on efforts that involve government affairs activities.
- Leading collaborative efforts with SourceAmerica’s Marketing, NPA Network Services, Communications and Workforce Development groups to increase the visibility of SourceAmerica’s policy positions and advocacy activities with internal and external audiences and retaining outside professionals as appropriate in the area of digital media to carry out these goals.
- Identifying and overseeing the creation of all advocacy materials, including fact sheets, leave behinds, testimony and regulatory filings.
All of our employees participate in the following:
- Actively participate in SourceAmerica’s Everyday Performance Management program
- Cooperate fully with meeting the requirements of the Cooperative Agreement of the AbilityOne Commission
- Perform additional duties and participate in special projects as assigned
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in a relevant field of study
- 15 years of relevant work experience including as a senior-level government affairs professional in Washington, DC
- 5 years of personnel leadership experience
- Outstanding strategic advocacy credentials and extensive bi-partisan relationships
- Strong relationships with key legislators in Congress, with Congressional staff, and with officials in government agencies all of which cross party lines
- Disability employment policy background
- Knowledge and experience with Federal government policy
- Experience leading major legislative or regulatory campaigns with politically sensitive outcomes
- Successful experience working with a member advocacy organization
Preferred Education, Experience, and Skills
- Advocacy for people with disabilities
- Experience with public policy related to people with disabilities
- Workforce development programs at the state or federal level, specifically for people with disabilities
- Ability to effectively collaborate with individuals and teams across a 400+ organization with a national footprint
- Proficiency in MS Office including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain relationships
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including grammar and proofreading skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Capable of working independently and solving problems under time pressure
- Flexible schedule and some travel required during certain time periods
- Commitment to fulfilling SourceAmerica’s mission, vision, and values
- Exhibit SourceAmerica’s STAR behaviors
- Willingness to follow SourceAmerica’s Code of Conduct
SourceAmerica offers a comprehensive, flexible, and market-competitive benefits program including: paid holidays, vacation time, sick leave, health insurance, and retirement benefits.
SourceAmerica is an equal employment opportunity employer. View our EEO Policy here: https://www.sourceamerica.org/sites/default/files/eeo-policy.pdf
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job posted: 2021-02-11