Vice President of Government Affairs
About Pear Therapeutics:
Pear Therapeutics is the leader in prescription digital therapeutics. We aim to redefine medicine by discovering, developing, and delivering clinically validated software-based therapeutics to provide better outcomes for patients, smarter engagement and tracking tools for clinicians, and cost-effective solutions for payers. Pear has a pipeline of products and product candidates across therapeutic areas, including severe psychiatric and neurological conditions. Our first product, reSET®, treats Substance Use Disorder and was the first prescription digital therapeutic to receive marketing authorization from the FDA to treat disease. Pear’s second product, reSET-O®, for the treatment of Opioid Use Disorder, received marketing clearance from the FDA in December 2018. Pear’s third PDT, Somryst®, is the first FDA-authorized prescription digital therapeutic (PDT) for patients with chronic insomnia and the first product submitted through FDA’s traditional 510(k) pathway while simultaneously reviewed through FDA’s Software Precertification Pilot Program.
The Vice President of Government Affairs will be responsible for leading comprehensive local, state and federal strategies, including, but not limited to, use of third party organizations in order to shape state legislative and regulatory activity and strengthen advocacy efforts. This position will represent Pear Therapeutics in matters of state and local legislation, regulations, or rules that have an impact on the company, and drive favorable resolutions to those matters. This requires developing and executing complex and multi-dimensional strategies involving legislative, regulatory, and general governmental elements to support business goals. This role drives policy to analyze federal, state, and local legislation, regulations, and policy in order to develop critical advocacy strategies and materials. The Vice President of Government Affairs collaborates with Advocacy, Corporate Communications, and Market Access teams to strategically utilize community and national advocacy programs to build strong governmental relationships.
The Vice President of Government Affairs must anticipate state and local legislation and public policy trends and emerging issues in order to get ahead of government action or to proactively shape the environment to make it more favorable to Pear’s interests is critical. The position will develop relationships with policymakers, regulators, patient advocates, physician advocates, business groups, public policy groups, associations, and other stakeholders and drive their engagement on key public policy issues. Rigorous compliance with all state lobbying rules is a critical component of this role. Reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer, this is a critical and highly visible leadership role within Pear Therapeutics.
- Create short-, medium- and long-term vision and organizational plan for the Government Affairs and Accounts strategy and vision including resource allocation, priorities, and staffing.
- Develop and executive comprehensive advocacy strategies to shape state legislative activity and deliver on business priorities. This includes direct lobbying and engagement of third party groups and coalitions.
- Assess state and local political and public policy environment, determine where legislative and regulatory action is advisable and where it is not, and make recommendations on Pear to take action.
- Align cross-functionally and manage expectations of the business regarding the legislative and regulatory environment and the potential impact on Pear.
- Represent Pear in matters of state and local legislation, regulations, or rules that have an impact on the enterprise and state/local business operations, and drive favorable resolutions to those matters. Proactively evaluate legislation, regulations, and rules, as well as the political environment.
- Assess both opportunities and threats to Pears interests and create comprehensive Government Affairs strategies to address them that include lobbying, 3rd party advocacy, policy development, and media engagement on legislative and policy goals.
- Develop close working relationships with key internal business stakeholders and partner with Corporate Development and Commercial on strategies and objectives – including Market Access, Sales, and Marketing – within position’s assigned region to leverage state advocacy strategies.
- Develop relationships with key third party advocates across the patient, business and health sectors and engage them in support of issues, policies, and legislative and regulatory action.
- Manage outside consultants and legal counsel within the region, including setting objectives, defining missions and ensuring execution in support of state legislative strategies.
- Ensure rigorous compliance to all legally required registrations for the corporation, staff and outside counsel within the position’s region.
- Bachelor’s degree required. JD, MBA, MPH or other relevant advanced degree preferred.
- 15+ years experience in lobbying, public administration, political party activity, legislative staff work, or related experience. Experience in healthcare industry issues preferred.
- Ability to deal effectively with high-profile stakeholders such as elected officials, executives and a variety of external constituencies; including ability to influence and navigate political landscape.
- Requires advanced knowledge of legislative rules and procedures, legislative processes, politics, and the complex corporate and policy issues affecting Pear.
- Ability to master complex policy and legislative issues, think creatively, and develop innovative strategies and solutions; demonstrate a thorough knowledge of major state health programs, including Medicaid, Veterans Affairs, DOD, SUD/OUD, state finance and appropriations processes, etc.; deep knowledge of private health care marketplace mechanisms – insurance, drug benefit plans, key player strategies (i.e. PBMs, pharmacies, employers, consumers, etc.); and, understanding of complex public policy environments.
- Ability to act independently and demonstrate sound business judgment within the scope of broad guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement comprehensive Government Affairs strategies that include lobbying, association engagement, third party advocacy, digital/social/earned media, and other Government Affairs tools that result in successful engagement of external groups and influencers.
- Possess strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively and with clarity, strong organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to changing requirements, resourcefulness and creativity, strong attention to detail, a proven track record of being able to work under deadlines and an ability to work collaboratively in a fluid organizational environment.
- Works well in a team environment and enjoys a collegial, yet highly demanding culture while effectively collaborating with business leaders and other internal stakeholders.
- Candidates must also have comprehensive knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications, including PowerPoint.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pear Therapeutics is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion or religious creed, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, genetic information, qualified physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition, qualified military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Pear Therapeutics also follows all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leave of absences, compensation and training.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-25