Vice President, Government Affairs
The Information Technology Industry Council (ITI) is the premier advocacy and policy organization for the world’s leading innovation companies. ITI is seeking a Vice President of Government Affairs to serve as one of ITI’s representatives and advocates for the U.S. executive branch and U.S. Congress. This exciting, opportunity is located in ITI’s headquarters in Washington, DC and offers a generous post-COVID telecommute flexibility. ITI is committed to attracting creative, talented, and energetic team members who represent the diverse communities that they advocate for. In addition to an open, friendly, and flexible work atmosphere, ITI offers employees a competitive salary, bonus compensation, and a comprehensive health and benefits insurance package that offers high quality work/life balance.
As the Vice President of Government Affairs, you will assist with ITI’s Government Relations team’s operations while also developing the organization’s Congressional and U.S. Executive Branch engagement, advocacy, and political strategy. The Vice President of Government Affairs is responsible for supervising the work responsibilities, special projects, and professional development of manager-level members of the Government Affairs team.
In this role, you will also represent ITI and advocate for ITI member companies at senior levels of the U.S. Congress and relevant U.S. executive branch offices, departments, and agencies. You will bring deep substantive experience on policy issues and Congressional process, strong working relationships with relevant stakeholders, and solid political and policy instincts.
A strong understanding of the technology industry and a successful track record working on key priority areas is required. You will work closely with the Government Affairs team, ITI member companies, ITI senior leaders and staff to strategize, plan, and execute a comprehensive government affairs program to:
- Build and expand relationships at the most senior levels of the U.S. Congress and relevant executive branch offices;
- Advance ITI’s policy priorities, including by proactively identifying policy concerns and opportunities for ITI and recommending how to promote them through appropriate legislative, regulatory, or other types of engagement;
- Serve as an industry leader and spokesperson for ITI members before the media and other organizations, constituencies, and coalitions in public settings.
- Lead ITI’s legislative analysis and advocacy on a range of priority issues including, commercial privacy reform, high-skill immigration, international trade, and other issues as assigned and coordinate with ITI policy team.
- Develop and enhance working relationships with member companies and their Washington government affairs representatives.
- Provide leadership and strategic policy and political counsel across all ITI priorities related to domestic advocacy.
- Identify and execute strategic policymaker engagement opportunities and initiatives for ITI member companies.
- Manage a team of direct reports to help guide the routine operations of the government affairs team.
- Manage the ITI Government Relations Committee and government affairs-focused meetings as needed with member companies and policymaker representatives.
- Allocate Government Affairs budget resources for special projects and events.
- Assist with managing external consultants to prioritize and assign advocacy outreach and other projects.
- Build and sustain key political relationships with the administration as well as the House and Senate policymakers.
- Serve as an industry leader and spokesperson for ITI members in building relationships with other organizations, constituencies, and coalitions whose interests coincide with those of ITI.
- Identify and engage with potential ITI members and actively participate in ITI member company retention and recruiting activities.
- Independently plan, organizing, and successfully execute ITI political events.
- Ten plus years of relevant advocacy, policy, or government experience
- A relevant bachelor’s degree; advanced degree in law or public policy preferred
- Previous technology industry advocacy experience
- Previous supervisory/management experience
- Previous lobbying experience
- Experience with privacy, tech, and immigration policy
- Strong policymaker relationships
- A respected policy and political professional with strong congressional and industry relationships
- Extensive policy expertise with the ability to quickly analyze and distill complex policy proposals
- Knowledge of past ITI policy positions and advocacy efforts
- Proven track record as a strategic thinker with sound political and policy instincts
- Facility to drive policy consensus among a diverse array of business models, interests, and priorities
- Understand and effectively articulate a wide range of ITI policy positions and priority issues before policymakers and ITI members
- The ability to analyze global policy developments and articulate their importance to U.S. policymakers
- Demonstrated leadership, management, and mentoring skills
- A high degree of integrity and professionalism
- A commitment to the organization, its mission, and its success
- Customer service-oriented focus with tact, diplomacy, sound judgment and discretion, and professionalism
- A mentor to new Government Affairs and ITI staff
- Trusted team player with the demonstrated ability to perform in a fast-paced advocacy organization
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize competing priorities
- Analytical, writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Capability to learn public policy issues quickly, work independently and collaboratively on advocacy issues, and engage team members to facilitate successful results
- Exceptional commitment to accuracy, detail, and follow-up
- An enthusiastic self-starter
Please visit the job link below for more details (or copy/paste link to a new window). If you are passionate about shaping the future of technology and believe you meet the requirements, submit a resume to the Apply button below.Additional inquiries and questions can be emailed to Beth Cessna at Beth.Cessna@cessnasearch.com.
ITI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
About the Information Technology Industry Council
Originally founded in 1916 and globally headquartered in Washington, DC, the Information Technology Industry Council (ITI) is the premier advocacy and policy organization for the world’s leading innovation companies. ITI advocates for public policies that advance innovation, open markets, and enable the transformational economic, societal, and commercial opportunities that our companies are creating. ITI members represent the entire spectrum of technology from internet companies, to hardware and networking equipment manufacturers, to software developers. ITI’s diverse membership and expert staff provide a broad perspective and intelligent insight in confronting the implications and opportunities of policy activities around the world.
About Cessna & Associates, LLC
Cessna & Associates, LLC is a boutique HR consultancy partnering with mission driven, non-profit organizations. Our goal is to identify the best potential candidates that the market has to offer.
The Power of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fuels Success
Cessna & Associates embraces and celebrates the strength that diversity brings to our organization. Just as we are deliberate in our own pursuit of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives, our efforts support our clients’ DEI success. We drive every search with an unyielding focus to create an even playing field for all candidates and assess their ability to be “culture adds”, not merely “fits” for our clients. Our team builds and nurtures this rich tapestry of diversity for ourselves and for our clients.
Job posted: 2021-09-29