Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President of Government Affairs
The Vice President of Government Affairs is the executive responsible for leading the Company Government Affairs team and developing, leading, and executing legislative strategy for the corporation. This role is responsible for developing and enhancing the policy brand of a mission-driven organization that will help shape the future of healthcare. As the senior government affairs professional, the Vice President of Government Affairs serves both as the leader of the Government Affairs as well as the advisor to the CEO and Board of Directors on all matters of legislative consequence.
This position will be located at the Headquarter office in McLean, VA.
- Responsible for the overall planning, organization and execution of Somatus’ government affairs strategies and activities in order to help facilitate the company’s strategic business growth initiatives.
- Represent Somatus before elected officials at the federal, state, and local levels to advance the organization’s positions on legislative policy.
- Represent Somatus at public events including statewide and local business organizations, as well as local, regional and national healthcare associations.
- Responds to inquiries on policy issues on behalf of Somatus and oversees the development and dissemination of company positions to advance the organizational objectives, comments on pending legislation, and other policy-related talking points and messages.
- Develop key relationships with 3rd party advocates across patient, business and health sectors to shape state legislative activity and deliver on strategic business priorities
- Monitor and assess state and local political and public policy to determine where legislative and regulatory action is advisable
- Proactively evaluate legislation, regulations, and rules, as well as the political environment.
- Develop close working relationships with key internal business stakeholders and partner with executive and board leadership to leverage governmental advocacy strategies.
- Develops strategic relationships with Governors, state agency leaders, key legislators and their staff
- Establish strategic relationships with Kidney care related not for profit agencies, trade associations and other govt. agencies e.g. National Kidney Foundation, KDIGO, USRDS and Renal Physician Association
The ideal candidate must possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in health administration, Business Administration or related field.
- 10+ years of experience in lobbying, public administration, legislative staff work, or related experience.
- Expertise in dealing with high-profile stakeholders such as elected officials, executives and a variety of external constituencies; including ability to influence and navigate complex political landscape.
- Advanced knowledge of legislative rules and procedures, legislative processes, politics, and the complex corporate and policy issues affecting Pear.
- Demonstrated ability to handle complex policy and legislative issues, and develop innovative strategies and solutions
- Possess a solid, broad comprehension of the U.S. health care system
- Extensive knowledge of major state health programs, including Medicaid, Veterans Affairs, private health care marketplace mechanisms – insurance, drug benefit plans, key player strategies (i.e. PBMs, pharmacies, employers, consumers, etc.); and, understanding of complex public policy environments.
- Ability to act independently and demonstrate sound business judgment
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement comprehensive Government Affairs strategies that include lobbying, association engagement, third party advocacy, digital/social/earned media, and other Government Affairs tools that result in successful engagement of external groups and influencers.
- Possess strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively and a proven track record of being able to work under tight deadlines.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence, displaying candor and integrity at all times
- A willingness to work collaboratively by incorporating diverse perspectives and appropriately managing relationships
- Capitol Hill experience required, specifically with ties to committees or leadership
- JD, MBA, MPH or other relevant advanced degree preferred
- Previous experience in government contracting preferred
- Experience in healthcare highly preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Our priority is the health and safety of our members, colleagues, partners, and community. Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination is required for employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or sincerely-held religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodations consistent with our policy, and where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship to the company pursuant to applicable law. All requests for proof of vaccination or for exemptions from the vaccination requirement will be subject to any limitations stipulated by current state and/or federal laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Somatus, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Further, the company takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.
Learn more here
ENTER JOB DESCRIPTION HERE
Job posted: 2021-12-23