Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Government Affairs
The Plastics Industry Association (PLASTICS) is a D.C.-based trade association that supports the entire value chain for the $432 billion plastics industry including nearly one million workers in the United States.
Leads the Association’s federal, state and regulatory affairs programs and provides overall issue support and coordination. Oversees advocacy for PLASTICS at all levels of government and serves as staff liaison to the Public Policy Committee (PPC).
- Lead staff of government affairs department covering federal, state and regulatory issues.
- Work with PPC and industry councils to identify public policy priorities and develop programs and actions to respond to those issues.
- Work with Council liaisons, PPC and Communications department to establish a functioning process for members’ input on public policy issues and dissemination of critical issues to the membership.
- Manage overall relations of the Association with the U.S. Congress, executive branch, state legislative bodies, as well as local governments.
- Testify before government entities.
- Work with VP of Communications to craft messaging and rapid response to media inquiries.
- Establish and maintain a political network for fundraising activities relating to political and issue advocacy for plastics.
- Advise the CEO and the Board on pertinent political, legislative and regulatory information.
- Manage/hire lobbyists and other consultants.
- Participate in external programs with counterparts in member companies, coalitions and other trade associations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Internal: Staff, legal counsel and consultants, membership.
External: Government agencies, international, federal, state and local representatives, non- member companies, industry coalitions, media and NGOs.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, masters or law degree preferred.
- At least fifteen years of experience in public policy leadership.
- Association experience a plus. Proven track record of strategic and tactical thinking with successful implementation of strategies.
- Capacity to assemble coalitions, build consensus, fundraise and lead staff.
- Proven experience in negotiating complicated issues among stakeholders is desirable. Federal and/or state government affairs experience required.
- Existing relationships with legislators and regulators and key manufacturing organizations is strongly preferred. Experience in media relations is a plus.
- Teamwork, ethical behavior, ability to quickly adjust to change and to work under pressure.
- Customer service orientation.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Member communications, both written and oral, are a central part of PLASTICS’s day-to- day business; staff member will be expected to treat member communications as a top priority.
- Ability to manage a variety of projects simultaneously. Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally.
Interested applicants should send cover letter, salary requirements, and resume to HR@plasticsindustry.org.
About Us: PLASTICS is a dynamic organization with an ambitious team, striving for growth and success. Together we shape the direction of the entire plastics industry. Employees have the opportunity to grow, learn, and impact both the industry and our association. We are passionate about sustainability and recycling initiatives.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision and life insurance, competitive salaries and a 401(k) plan with employer contributions. We work hard, we play hard and we value a work-life balance. To learn more about PLASTICS, go to plasticsindustry.org.
Job posted: 2022-07-17