Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Government Affairs
The Vice President, Government Affairs serves as the principal staff person for the advocacy efforts of the
American Academy of Ophthalmology providing oversight and direction for four Departments —Federal
Affairs (Congressional/PAC) and Health Policy/Regulatory, State Governmental Affairs and State and
Specialty Society Relations. As head of the Academy’s Washington DC office, the VP works in close
consultation with and as key advisor to the President, the Board of Trustees (BoT), the CEO and Secretaries
in developing a national health policy agenda for the profession and membership.
• Strategy and Planning – Coordinate, develop and implement policies and strategies for the Academy
on major advocacy issues confronting the organization; work with the BOT, Federal and State
Secretariats and Senior Secretary for Advocacy to define goals and strategies; as a member of the VP
management team, make decisions impacting the management of the organization and the membership.
• Management – Manage a division budget of nearly $6 million; manage political funds of over $3.5
million; provide vision and management for 19 professional staff, and four departments including
recruitment, retention and development; ensure legal compliance with lobbying laws.
• Communications – Develop advocacy value proposition and provide information to retain and
engage Academy members through a variety of mechanisms -Washington Report Express, Alerts,
educational programs, web postings and Capwiz; provide direction and content to influence the public
and ophthalmology community through the ophthalmology press and the general press to further the
Academy’s advocacy agenda.
• Coalition Building-Strengthen the Academy’s Washington Effort – Define and implement
strategies for the Academy to work with ophthalmic subspecialty societies, other medical organizations
(AMA/ACS) on ophthalmology advocacy initiatives including coalition building, plan and host
Ophthalmic Advocacy Leadership Meetings and Communications.
• Liaison, Representative – Serve as the Academy’s primary external liaison on health policy,
representing the Academy to the Congress, Federal agencies and to the organizations working in the
vision community organizations.
• Decision-making responsibility – Responsible for making decisions related to strategy and
advocacy agenda and implementation including operations, advocacy related community, fundraising,
membership, engagement & staffing.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• BA in political science or health policy (or BA in another discipline, but with advanced degree in political
science, public policy, or public health). Advanced degree preferred (MA, MBA, JD).
• Understanding of the political process at the Federal and state level.
• Understanding of Medicare physician payment policy.
• Track record of success as a political advocate.
• Executive level understanding of financial administration, budget planning & maintenance,
forecasting & reporting.
• Previous medical association, Washington office experience.
• Director, Political Affairs.
• Director, Health Policy.
• Policy Director, for State Gov’t Affairs.
• Director, Ophthalmic Society
• Executive Assistant.
• Office Manager.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology is the world’s largest association of eye physicians and surgeons.
A global community of 32,000 medical doctors, they protect sight and empower lives by setting the
standards for ophthalmic education and advocating for their patients and the public. They innovate to
advance their profession and to ensure the delivery of the highest-quality eye care. It is headquartered in
San Francisco, California. Its membership includes more than 90 percent of practicing ophthalmologists in
the United States as well as over 7,000 members abroad.
THE ACADEMY’S MISSION
The mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology is to protect sight and empower lives by
serving as an advocate for patients and the public, leading ophthalmic education, and advancing the
profession of ophthalmology.
Follow us on:
Partners in Panorama – Asia, Australia, EMEA, Latin America, North America
Members of the Association of Executive Search Consultants – AESC
Vetted Solutions is a Washington, D.C. based executive search firm specializing in association
and nonprofit recruiting and consulting. We focus on CEO and senior staff positions.
For confidential consideration, please email your resume and cover letter to:
AAOVPGovAffairsSearch@vettedsolutions.com or call +1 202 544 4749
Job posted: 2022-09-08