Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Government Affairs
The Vice President, Government Affairs serves as the principal staff person for the advocacy efforts of the American Academy of Ophthalmology providing oversight and direction for four Departments —Federal Affairs (Congressional/PAC) and Health Policy/Regulatory, State Governmental Affairs and State and Specialty Society Relations. As head of the Academy’s Washington DC office, the VP works in close consultation with and as key advisor to the President, the Board of Trustees (BoT), the CEO and Secretaries in developing a national health policy agenda for the profession and membership.
- Strategy and Planning – Coordinate, develop and implement policies and strategies for the Academy on major advocacy issues confronting the organization; work with the BOT, Federal and State Secretariats and Senior Secretary for Advocacy to define goals and strategies; as a member of the VP management team, make decisions impacting the management of the organization and the membership.
- Management – Manage a division budget of nearly $6 million; manage political funds of over $3.5 million; provide vision and management for 19 professional staff, and four departments including recruitment, retention and development; ensure legal compliance with lobbying laws.
- Communications – Develop advocacy value proposition and provide information to retain and engage Academy members through a variety of mechanisms -Washington Report Express, Alerts, educational programs, web postings and Capwiz; provide direction and content to influence the public and ophthalmology community through the ophthalmology press and the general press to further the Academy’s advocacy agenda.
- Coalition Building-Strengthen the Academy’s Washington Effort – Define and implement strategies for the Academy to work with ophthalmic subspecialty societies, other medical organizations (AMA/ACS) on ophthalmology advocacy initiatives including coalition building, plan and host Ophthalmic Advocacy Leadership Meetings and Communications.
- Liaison, Representative – Serve as the Academy’s primary external liaison on health policy, representing the Academy to the Congress, Federal agencies and to the organizations working in the vision community organizations.
- Decision-making responsibility – Responsible for making decisions related to strategy and advocacy agenda and implementation including operations, advocacy related community, fundraising, membership, engagement & staffing.
Experience and Qualifications:
- BA in political science or health policy (or BA in another discipline, but with advanced degree in political science, public policy, or public health). Advanced degree preferred (MA, MBA, JD).
- Understanding of the political process at the Federal and state level.
- Understanding of Medicare physician payment policy.
- Track record of success as a political advocate.
- Executive level understanding of financial administration, budget planning & maintenance, forecasting & reporting.
- Previous medical association, Washington office experience.
- Director, Political Affairs.
- Director, Health Policy.
- Policy Director, for State Gov’t Affairs.
- Director, Ophthalmic Society Relations.
- Executive Assistant.
- Office Manager.
To apply, send your resume to AAOVPGovAffairsSearch@vettedsolutions.com.
Job posted: 2022-10-26