Vice President, Government Affairs and Communications
The ElectriCities Vice President, Government Affairs and Communications reports to the Chief Legal Officer. This position is responsible for planning, managing and coordinating the government affairs and communications strategies, programs, and activities for ElectriCities, North Carolina Eastern Municipal Power Agency and North Carolina Power Agency No.1 (Power Agencies), collectively referred to as NC Public Power.
The VP, Government Affairs and Communications will be responsible for the following:
- Recommends federal and state policy advocacy goals and priorities to the ElectriCities Executive Team, the ElectriCities Board of Directors and the Power Agency Boards of Commissioners.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive advocacy strategy to accomplish the policy goals and priorities for the organization and NC Public Power.
- Leads the team of internal and external subject matter experts to track, evaluate, and influence federal and state policy consistent with the organizations’ policy goals and strategic advocacy plan. Responsible for compliance with state and federal lobbying disclosure and reporting obligations.
- Represents ElectriCities and the Power Agencies on policy matters before federal and state policymakers, external stakeholders, affiliated organizations, and the media.
- Recommends goals and priorities to the ElectriCities Executive Team, the ElectriCities Board of Directors and the Power Agency Boards of Commissioners with respect to internal, external, and member communications and communications-related member services.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive communications strategy to achieve the organizations’ and NC Public Power’s communications goals. This will include:
- Proactive media relations in cooperation with other utilities, government and statewide organizations, including story placement, fact sheets and meetings with members of the media;
- Development of positive media opportunities;
- Placement of positive news in community and statewide media;
- Establishment of a strong brand identity;
- Communication of the value of Public Power and the benefits and services of ElectriCities;
- Coordination of issue management between and among member communities, ElectriCities and the Power Agencies;
- Development of relevant concepts for print and electronic communications, including the ElectriCities Annual Report, marketing collateral, ElectriCities corporate website, and social media, to communicate key information to stakeholders;
- Development of concepts and key messages position statements, elected official information kits and other related major written products, videos, and presentations;
- Development and testing of a crisis communications plan; and,
- Tracking of key performance indicators.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive communications strategy to achieve communications-related member services goals. This will include:
- Providing guidance and counsel to members as needed with respect to communications projects;
- Planning and executing value-added services for member Public Information Officers and other staff.
- Leads the team of internal and external communications experts to produce industry-leading communications products and services consistent with the organizations’ communications goals and strategic plans.
- Advises management with respect to public and media relations.
- Acts as ElectriCities’ and the Power Agencies’ information liaison and coordinates the release of public information.
- Maintains positive relationships with stakeholders, including relationships with peers within our membership, at other organizations, trade organizations and publications, state agencies and others that foster synergy on common issues.
- Serves as a member of ElectriCities’ Senior Leadership Team and participates in strategic and organizational planning and execution. Keeps Senior Staff apprised of evolving communications and public relations issues, and risks.
Successful candidates should possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Administration, or a related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Ten or more years’ experience in lobbying at the federal or state level and/or ten or more years of progressively responsible experience in corporate communications and public relations, marketing, journalism, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong understanding of the legislative process, utility issues, and coordination of state/local/industry communications. General knowledge and understanding of key business concepts and finance terminology
- Ability to develop consensus and lead corporate communication programs in close alignment with corporate strategy, marketing/branding goals, and objectives. Strong knowledge of media, reporting methods, and public relations tactics.
- Exceptional integrity, leadership, customer focus, and communications skills with the ability to present views in a clear and compelling manner, and to develop trust and influence as a thought leader with all levels of management, government officials, and other media professionals.
- Innovative thinking with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results.
- Demonstrated creativity in problem-solving, communications, crisis management, and interpersonal relationships.
- Proficiency with and knowledge of Associated Press Style, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, website content management software, and social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram)
We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-12